Thursday, October 30, 2014

This Book Room: The Lodge on Holly Road

James Claussen has played Santa for years, but now that he's a widower, he's lost interest—in everything. So his daughter, Brooke, kidnaps him from the mall (in his Santa suit!) and takes him to Icicle Falls. She's arranged a special Christmas at the lodge owned by long-widowed Olivia Wallace and her son, Eric. And yet…Brooke wants Dad to be happy, but she's not ready to see someone else's mommy kissing Santa Claus.

Single mom Missy Monroe brings her kids to the lodge, too. Lalla wants a grandma for Christmas, and her brother, Carlos, wants a dog. Missy can't provide either one. What she'd like is an attractive, dependable man. A man like John Truman… But John's girlfriend will be joining him in Icicle Falls, and he's going to propose.

Of course not everything goes as planned. But sometimes the best gifts are the ones you don't expect!

Additional notes: This is the sixth book in the Life in Icicle Falls series. You can read my review of the first book here, the second book here, the third book here, the fourth book here and the fifth book here. Please note that you do not need to read the previous books in the series to read this book. These can all exist as stand-alone books.

My thoughts: Can I please, please, please move to this town? It is so magical and the characters there just make me yearn to know them in real life. Since I'm not planning a move anytime soon, I guess I'll just have to live there vicariously through these books (also, strangely enough, I have a wonderful little German town in the state I live in and we visit there for a day about once a year; I am feeling inspired to stay there for a weekend now in December, though!).

I loved how many new characters are introduced in this book and that there was so much fun romance (not smut, and I appreciate the lack of that!). For some strange reason, I also really appreciated the underlying lesson that you can't tell anyone when they are ready for a new romance. Should I die at a younger age than desired, I have specifically told Jason to find a new wife and mama for our littles; I would not be upset if he married within a year after me passing. I do realize how hard that might be for other people, but I trust Jason to do what is right for him and our family.

Anyway, that tangent aside, this book completely put me in the Christmas mood. Does anyone want to join me for baking cookies, listening to music and playing in the snow?

What? There's no snow?!?!?!

Well, then read this book and be transported to a magical place with all of the above.

Happy reading!

Many thanks to Sheila Roberts for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. You can read more about how and why Ms. Roberts provides me with books here.

No comments: