Note: our local grocery store doesn't display 1/2 or 1/4 heads of cabbage, but they will cut one for you if you ask. You should ask at your own if you don't want to end up with extra cabbage and nothing to do with it. The worst they can say is no.
|See the pretty coleslaw, all the yummy different colors. You know|
you want some.
- 1/2 head green cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 head red cabbage, shredded
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1/2 red onion, quartered and sliced
- Jess didn't care for the onion as much as I did, so if you are not an onion person, you may want to skip this.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp celery seeds
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- Combine the cabbages, carrot, and onion in a very large bowl.
- Combine the sugar and vinegar in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring continuously until the sugar dissolves.
- The very next step is to let it cool so make sure to cook it as little as possible.
- Let cool and then whisk in the remaining ingredients.
- Pour mayo mixture over the cabbage mixture and toss to coat.
- Or put a cover on the large bowl and give it a very good shake.