Thursday, August 28, 2014

This Book Room: Home to Chicory Lane

Audrey Whitman’s dreams are coming true. Now that their five kids are grown, she and her husband Grant are turning their beloved family home into a cozy bed and breakfast, just a mile outside of Langhorne, Missouri.

Opening weekend makes Audrey anxious, with family and friends coming from all over to help celebrate the occasion. But when Audrey’s daughter, Landyn, arrives, the U-Haul she’s pulling makes it clear she’s not just here for a few days. Audrey immediately has questions. What happened in New York that sent Landyn running home? Where was Landyn’s husband, Cory? And what else was her daughter not telling her? One thing was for sure, the Chicory Inn was off to a rocky start. Can Audrey still realize her dream and at the same time provide the comfort of home her daughter so desperately needs?

Additional notes: This is the first book in the Chicory Inn series.

My thoughts: When the book first started, I was so into it. I've read a couple other books by Deborah Raney before, but her writing in this particular book reminded me a lot of Karen Kingsbury. Since I really like books by Karen, I thought the book was off to a good start!

But honestly, Landyn kind of ruined it for me. She is very whiny and unsupportive of her husband. The issues that were bothering her were lame. I don't want to give away what their issues were because I honestly kept thinking, "Okay, but there's more, right? This can't be it." Landyn's problems were seriously first-world problems and ones I could not at all relate to.

I can kind of see where this series might go - a book for each of the siblings - and I would read the other books in the series with the hope that Landyn is the only whiny one and the others are more relatable. Overall, though, I was a bit disappointed.

Thanks to Litfuse Publicity Group for providing a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

No comments: