Monday, August 4, 2014

Life & Style: Cultivating a Heart of Contentment

photo credit
We were in the car one day, not long after I had started working at my new job which I love, and in the course of chatting, Jason mentioned, "It's nice to be able to buy whatever we want."

This really struck me.... because he is completely correct. We can buy, quite literally, whatever we want.

Some of you may be thinking, "How much do you make?" Honestly, by most peoples' standards, we make a very modest living. The key is that we live a simple, content life.

We went shopping that weekend and literally bought what we wanted, which included a new computer. I spent $22 at Kohl's on slippers and sunglasses. I bought everything I wanted at Kohl's.

Sure, there are big ticket items I'd love to eventually have part of my life: a huge rambling farmhouse, for one. But I'm not ready for that kind of purchase (mentally and emotionally) right now.

My wants are pretty basic: basic clothing, a car that runs, clean water, a roof, and so on. I don't yearn to own diamond earrings, a new car, a boat, fancy shoes, or hundreds of handbags.

Let me reassure you: I was not always this way. But things just clutter life and instead of spending time with the people you love, you end up spending time making sure all of your things are taken care of and put away. I don't want to do more laundry because I'm wearing more pieces, I don't want to clean jewelry, I don't want to clean 4 bathrooms, and I don't want to spend time away from my home to go another home that I have to maintain.

Nope, I'm good in my simple life where I have plenty of time to love on my family. People, not things, are what matter most in this season of my life, and honestly? I hope that never, ever changes.

2 comments:

Maria Mesias said...

Love that. Such simplicity is beautiful.

Jess and Jason said...

Thank you!