|Sign me up for a slice of that!|
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 4 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Put the canola oil in a 10-inch oven safe skillet and put the skillet in the oven for 10 minutes.
- While the skillet is heating in the oven combine the flour, corn meal, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl and give it a quick stir so it is evenly mixed together.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the butter, egg and buttermilk.
- Pour the egg mixture into the dry ingredients.
- Before stirring, add the scallions and cheese and then stir with a spatula only until it is all incorporated.
- Note it is ok if 'all' the flour and/or cornmeal doesn't get mixed in, it is more important to not over stir.
- Remove the skillet from the oven (with an oven mitt or similar device to avoid burns) and pour the mixture into it.
- Return the skillet (again with protection) to the oven and bake for 20 minutes, turning the skillet for even browning half way through.
- Remove the skillet (once more without burning yourself) from the oven and let it sit for 10ish minutes.
- Place a plate upside down over the cornbread and flip the skillet so that the cornbread falls onto the plate.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.