Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Crafty Christmas: Lavender Oatmeal Bath Soak

Christmas Countdown: Christmas is just 17 weeks away!


Don't even ask me why I haven't really ventured into the world of skincare before. I regret that sorely.

But now I'm fully immersing myself into it, I am loving it. Now that I'm a mom, I really try to make time for just me each day. I fail most of the time, but when I get a few moments to relax, I want to really relax, you know?

I love oatmeal and I love lavender. And I love baths. This soak is really just a win-win-win all around. I also oddly had all of these ingredients on hand. Because I just have an odd stash of crafting ingredients. I plan to sew together lavender sachets in the future to use up some more of the pound of dried lavender buds I have. Not to fully go on a tangent here, but they're also food grade buds, so I'm contemplating making lavender lemonade or some other delicious concoction.

So to get back to the point of this post... here's what you need to make this lavender oatmeal bath soak:
  • 4 cups old fashioned oats
  • 1 cup baking soda
  • 4 Tbsp. dried lavender buds
Here's how to make lavender oatmeal bath soak:
  1. Measure the ingredients into a bowl and whisk together.
  2. Working in batches and using your blender/food processor, blend the mixture until it is finely ground.
  3. Carefully scoop the mixture into Mason jars or some other type of airtight storage container.
With one batch, I was able to fill four half-pint jars. It's difficult for me to judge the cost of this project because I had everything on hand. I do buy oats at Aldi's, and the cost is $2 for a huge canister. I also buy my baking soda there for 50 cents. You'd need half of each to make this, so that's $1.25. If you grow lavender and dry it, that would make this project extra economical for you. I bought my lavender a few years ago from amazon.com and used gift cards I earned through Swagbucks. If you don't have gift cards to use, the bag of lavender was about $13 and I used a microscopic amount. I would say about 50 cents' worth (and that's seriously overestimating). That brings the project's total cost to $1.75, so each gift is about 44 cents.

For that price, make this for everyone and a few for yourself. You deserve to be pampered!

Happy crafting!

No comments: