Tuesday, July 1, 2014

State of Our House Address: June in review

June was quite possibly one of the most fun months we've had in a long time! I can't remember a time when we made so many memories.


Jason's tutoring business really picked up, and it made for a very busy month. Thankfully, near the end of June, a few of his students took vacations and he took vacation time from his job. It was a great time for him to refresh, refocus and relax. Speaking of jobs, you can read a full update on our job situations here. There are big changes coming for our little family, and we could not be more excited!


Our mama group at church does a family picnic in June, so we headed over to a family's house for our picnic. There were so many kids running around - I loved it! The final people count was about 29, I think, but there were only 12 or so adults. We were definitely outnumbered. Bug had her first ever swimming experience for this summer at the picnic, and she loved it. Her lips were blue, and her feet were purple, but I think she would've stayed in that pool all day if we let her.


We made it a point to take a lot of family walks during the month, and Bug had a fantastic time with this activity. There are so many parks located in our town, and while we don't really live in town, we live close enough to walk. There is one really great park about 1.25 miles or so from our home, and we went there lots. I love that as part of the swingset, there are baby swings. Bug wasn't too thrilled with it the first time, but the next time we went (and every time after), she had a blast in it.

My view while walking
Along with several wonderful local parks, we also have some great state parks with lakes nearby. We went to our favorite a few times, and Bug loved swimming in the lake with Jason and playing in the mud. We had picnics there a couple of times, and all in all, just had a really fun time. Have I mentioned lately how much I love our town?

Our girl loves to splash
Since Jason took some vacation time, we had a lot of extra fun, quality time together. We played a ton of games, such as Ticket to Ride, Blokus and Monopoly. We both read a bunch. In fact, we both finished the Giver, which is one of our Reading Contentment Challenge books. You can read more about that challenge here. We've making good strides with our reading goals. Jason and Bug are a little bit behind, but we're working on getting caught up. We signed Bug up for the summer reading program at the library, and we've already made good progress on her reading goal for that! We need to read to her for 8 hours this summer. I think we've finished with 3 hours so far.


Our garden is finally starting to grow well. For whatever reason, I do not feel like our seedlings transplanted well this year. I'm definitely going to do some things differently next year. I'm very thankful for my garden journal. I cannot remember things like that year to year so journaling what's going on makes it easier for the next year. We have no fruit on our tomato plants or strawberry plants yet, but I'm confident there will be some soon. The carrots are doing very well and the marigolds are blooming like crazy. No peppers have started growing on the jalapeno pepper plants, but I'm hoping that will happen soon, too.


I participated in my first-ever craft show as a vendor. I learned a lot but didn't sell as well as I hoped. I don't think the venue, at the end of the day, was well suited to what I was selling, and I'm looking for a good show to participate in this fall. I had a lot of interest in my table, and I did make back what I paid to be there plus extra, so that was good.

Our June Subscribe and Save order - my OOP expense was $0, but the
retail value of these items is over $100! Gotta love Swagbucks, Bing and MTurk!
Financially, we are doing so well! For most of June, Jason stayed incredibly busy with tutoring and working a ton of overtime at his job. During the time I was still a SAHM, I stayed busy doing MTurk work, Swagbucks and Bing. I also recently discovered Perk and run that on our iPod all day. It's an app you can run on a device and it plays ads and trailers. We've earned quite a few gift cards from that to Target and have cashed it in for very useful items, like milk, a toilet brush, hand soap, a toothbrush, etc. I can't even remember everything we've got from Target for free. If you have an internet-abled device, it's definitely worth looking into. Eventually, I hope to share more about it with you in a specific post. Our budget is looking very healthy for the rest of the year and toward the end of the month, we were able to buy some much-needed items, like a new computer, a new bathing suit for Bug, sunglasses and slippers for me, etc. It's very nice to have money to buy what we want (more on this in a post later this year!).


We're glad June was so much fun because July is going to be all about work, work, work. It's going to be one of our busiest months of the year, so we're just going to exist in survival mode until late July. If I post a little less frequently here or on our Facebook page, just know I'm probably passed out somewhere from sheer exhaustion but thinking of you all.

No comments: