Thursday, April 3, 2014

This Book Room

It's 1945, the war is over, the GIs are returning , and Eliza is on the run. At least, she would be if her truck hadn't broken down in the middle of nowhere and her money hadn't, quite literally, flown out the window. So when Joshua Carpenter, a cowboy with the most brilliant blue eyes she has ever seen, stops to offer her help, Eliza can't afford to say no… Joshua, it seems, is single-handedly building a home for himself on farmland just outside the town of Cypress Hollow. And as Eliza is about to discover, sometimes running away is the only way to come home... 

Additional notes: This is the first book in the Cypress Hollow Yarn series, though it is listed as book .5, as it is a short story. You can read my review of book 1.5 here, my review of the second book here and my review of the third book here.

My thoughts: I really enjoyed this book as Eliza is at the heart of this series. It was nice to read what started it all. I got it for free from the Amazon store for my Kindle.

Until Robert Miller met Lilly Allen, his world had been dark. A
widower after only two years of marriage, he'd been living in a haze, feeling that, at twenty-four, his life was already over. But thanks to his friendship with Lilly, he now has new reasons to wake up each day. He knows his connection to her doesn't make sense. She's only nineteen, with a past the whole town talks about. Even more, she's not Amish, like Robert. A marriage between the two of them could never happen.

Lilly's heart is drawn to Robert, not to his faith. No matter how much she admires his quiet strength and dependability, she doesn't think she could ever give up her independence and reliance on the modern world. Is their love doomed before it even begins?

Additional notes: This is the third book in the Seasons of Sugarcreek series. You can read my review of the first book here and my review of the second book here.

My thoughts: I feel like this is the story I was waiting for in this series. Lilly is so captivating as a character. She can be annoying at times, but I feel her heart is so similar to mine. I am so drawn to her. I was happy to read this book and happy where the characters ended up.


For the last five months, Tom Anderson has been without a job, a fact he's been hiding from his wife Jean--and everyone else. He leaves each morning, pretending nothing has changed, and spends his disheartening day rotating through two coffee shops and the library, using their wi-fi to search for a job on the internet. The stress of keeping this secret is beginning to put serious strain on his marriage and it looks like the legacy that began with his father is still at work, slowly destroying the bond between Tom and Jean. Can their mutual trust--and love--be restored? 

Additional notes: This is the second book in the Restoration series. You can read my review of the first book here.

My thoughts: I am such a fan of this series. I cannot wait until the third book comes out later this year! This book was particularly interesting because at the time I read it, I, too, was unemployed, although it was not a secret from my family. To read about a similar situation through another family and their take on it was intriguing and eye-opening, on several levels. This book gave me hope and made me laugh. It also made me tear up. I highly recommend this series.

Go, Cat, Go! Garfield shifts the laughs into overdrive in this latest collections of all-new comics. Whether
he's booting Nermal through the front door or battling Mrs. Feeny's lawn gnome, the fat cat keeps the mischief and mayhem coming fast and furious. Let the wild ride begin!

Additional notes: This is the 57th book in the Garfield series.You can find reviews of other Garfield books by searching "Garfield" in the search tab.

My thoughts: Honestly, Garfield brings a lot of laughter and joy to my home. Jason and I love reading these books and pointing out our favorite ones to each other.


No comments: