Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Homemade: Dishwasher Detergent (with no citric acid!)


I've made other dishwasher detergents and even shared one with all of you here. But I was never fully satisfied with any solution I had tried. Most I found called for citric acid. I have no issue with using citric acid in that the ingredient doesn't bother me. However, it can be difficult to find and can often only be purchased in bulk. I found a new solution that doesn't use citric acid and works really well in our dishwasher!

Here's what you need to make homemade dishwasher detergent: 

  • Mason jar 
  • Funnel
  • 1 cup baking soda
  • 2 cups washing soda
  • 1 cup Borax
  • 25 drops eucalyptus essential oil 

Here's how you make homemade dishwasher detergent: 

  1. Using your funnel, measure out 1 cup washing soda into the Mason jar. 
  2. Next, add baking soda. 
  3. Add 25 drops of the oil. 
  4. Add the second cup of washing soda. 
  5. Finally, add the cup of Borax. 
  6. Use a spoon to mix up the solution within the jar. When you've mixed as much as you could, put on the lid and ring, then shake the jar. 

It took me about ten minutes to make this solution, and it's worked very well in our dishwasher. We use white vinegar in the rinse compartment and that helps get a slight white residue off the dishes. If I had to give a measurement of how much to use, I would say to use 2 Tbsp. of the solution per load. We just fill up the detergent compartments until they're full. I like this homemade solution because we always keep all of these ingredients on hand. If you haven't had good luck with homemade detergents before, I highly suggest giving this one a go.

No comments: