Monday, April 14, 2014

Busy Bag of the Month: Felt Matching Game


You all know about my obsession with felt. This is one of my favorite busy bag ideas EVER because anyone can make it! It is so simple and frugal.

Here's what you need to make a felt matching game busy bag: 

  • Felt of various colors (15 different colors work best, then you also need black felt)
  • Black embroidery thread
  • Needle
  • Scissors
  • Ruler
Here's how you make a felt matching game busy bag: 
  1. Cut out all of your felt. For the colored felt, I cut mine to be 2.5 x 2.5 inches. For the black felt, I cut mine to be 3 x 3 inches. 
  2. Then, sew one colored piece to one black piece. Repeat until all of the colored pieces are sewed to the black pieces. 
  3. Throw all the pieces in a zipper bag, and you're done! 
I hand sewed the pieces so the project would be portable and I could work on it anywhere. However, feel free to use a sewing machine to sew the pieces together if you would prefer. Certainly, it would take far less time this way, but I always like having a project I can take to appointments, when visiting friends and family, etc. 

This project is super customize-able. You can buy felt with patterns on them at the store. I was going to do another busy bag with patterns, but the patterned felt is pretty pricey. You can also decide to make the game with felt shapes. The way I would recommend doing that is cutting the pieces the same sizes, then cutting out a heart, star, or whatever out of the colored felt. That way, when you sew the colored piece on, you're still sewing every single one the same: in a square shape. The shape, then, will be black. I hope that makes sense. I may do a busy bag with shapes, and if I do, I'll share a photo here to explain this further. 

I was going to take a few more pictures of the game, but a certain someone decided I was done. 


No comments: