This bread wasn't like anything I expected. This isn't to say that it tastes bad. It actually is quite good. You definitely need to like coconut (a lot) to enjoy this recipe. Since Jess and I both do, the recipe works for us. One bonus is that we routinely keep all of the ingredients for the bread in our house. We found the original recipe in a Cooking Light magazine.
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a bread pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat oil, sugar and eggs until well combined and fluffy.
- Stir in carrots until just combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together both flours, baking powder and salt. Beat dry mixture into wet mixture until just combined. Stir in coconut.
- Transfer mixture to pan, smoothing out the top the best you can. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Cool 15 minutes in pan, then turn onto a rack and cool completely.