Monday, February 24, 2014

Busy Bag of the Month: Bean Sorting


I enlisted the help of a few friends to help me with this busy bag idea. I love the idea of my girl sorting items, but the thought of buying so many different varieties of beans was not really how I wanted to go. Thankfully, my friends have some odd and awesome beans in their cupboards!

My favorite way to store busy bags is in a zip-lock gallon bag. Unfortunately, the cardboard egg carton I'm using for this busy bag doesn't quite fit. I have the beans in the bag and the egg carton is packed with the bag. The next time I'm at Joann's, I'm going to try to find something a little smaller for Bug to sort the beans into.

This busy bag, using an egg carton, was $0 out of pocket. If you do need to buy beans for this busy bag, just know you can make a lot of bean soup with the leftovers or you can make a lot of busy bags! My dream is to one day participate in a busy bag swap. So if you're planning on being in one, you'll have more than enough for several busy bags.

Here's what you need to make this busy bag: 

  • Several varieties of dried beans
  • Storage unit with cubbies for all the different varieties of beans
Store the items together. When your child is ready to sort, hand him/her the storage unit and you can dump the beans on a table for him/her to sort. 

No comments: