Wednesday, January 22, 2014

This Book Room: The Dancing Master

Leaving London, dancing master Alec Valcourt moves his mother and sister to remote Devonshire--but is stunned to discover that dancing is prohibited! He finds an unlikely ally in Miss Julia Midwinter, but her questions about his past are becoming harder to evade. Together, can they bring new life to this quiet village--and heal long-kept-secret scars?

My thoughts: This is, by far, one of my most favorite books and easily the best book by Julie Klassen (that I've read). It definitely is a sort of throwback to Footloose. 

First, I truly enjoyed the characters. While I would've liked to have known more about Ben and Tess' lives and Miss Patience as well, I really enjoyed the development of Alec, John, Julia and Lady Amelia. 

The story itself was far from predictable. I was genuinely surprised at several plot twists and turns. And while Julie's work is classified as "Christian fiction," I can tell you that even if you're not a Christian, you will enjoy this tale. 

It took me a couple of days to get into the story, but once I made it past about page 100, I really could not put the book down. I enjoyed all of the back story included and learning the different dances. One thing I always enjoy about period pieces is reading about the etiquette. Miss Julia's response to Alec when asked for a dance is certainly memorable! 

Above all, this book is far more than romance. A certain scene that takes place while Alec, Julia and others are riding their horses is enough to break anyone's heart, and it has nothing to do with romance between a man and a woman. Learning of Lady Anne and Lady Amelia's histories gives me fresh resolve to never let the sun set on my anger. 

In short, this book was inspirational and one I won't forget anytime soon. 

Thanks to Litfuse Publicity Group for providing a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. 

No comments: