Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Life & Style: update on 2013 and December goals (and a reflection on goal setting)

Here are my goals from December first, then 2013:

Personal
-Read my chosen devotional each day {this year, I'm reading 365 Meditations for Women by Women}
-Read my Amplified Bible each day
-Read 4 books
-Work on one fitness habit - for December, I'm focusing on enjoying all the good food this month brings. So in short, no fitness habit for me this month!
-Work on one other habit per month - for December, I'm focusing on deep cleaning the house more often - vacuum, sweeping/mopping, dusting and cleaning the bathrooms. My goal is once per week for all of these things but truthfully, I do them about once every other week right now.
-Craft weekly - for December, I'm making many Christmas gifts and continuing to put together some busy bags for Bug.

Marriage
-Pray for husband daily
-Have monthly date nights
-Have monthly movie nights
-Start reading Love and Respect and completing the accompanying workbook together

Mothering
-Read to Bug each day
-Pray with and for Bug each day
-Continue signing to Bug each day - we're teaching num nums, mama, dada, Bug {the sign we made up for her}, sleep/night night/tired, book/read, all done, more, eat, drink, bunny, kitty/brother {we call Preston brother as well so this is just an all-inclusive sign for him}, bear, potty
-Continue potty training. We're putting Bug on it after dinner. I expect absolutely nothing. We're just getting her used to the potty, diaper free, and experiencing this part of life.
-Continue baby-led weaning

Financial
-Send as much money as we can to our car loan holders {aka my parents}

My 2013 goals, from when I posted them way back in January:

Personal
-Read my chosen devotional each day {this year, I'm reading 365 Meditations for Women by Women}
-Read my Amplified and regular Bible each day for a total of 3 chapters between the two each day
-Read 100 {or more!} books
-Count calories each day on the app, MyFitnessPal {if you don't have a device with apps, you can use myfitnesspal.com - the app and the website are both free}
-Work on one fitness habit per month {such as drink more water, walk, etc.}
-Work on one other habit per month {such as sweep daily, memorizing Scripture, etc.}
-Craft weekly {we make most of the Christmas gifts we give, and we also like to make items for our own home}

Marriage
-Pray for husband daily
-Have monthly date nights
-Re-read Love and Respect
-Complete Love and Respect workbook together
-Have weekly game nights
-Have monthly movie nights

Financial
-Pay off last student loan
-Save one-fifth of our emergency fund

In all, I feel like my goals didn't really work for me this year. In my heart, a lot of this can be attributed to my season of life. I became a mother to a human for the first time this year. My job situation continues to change and evolve, as we continue to grow in our side businesses. My heart continues to move me in different directions, depending on what is most important that day.

Knowing all of this will help shape whatever goals I set forth for 2014. I may not announce them publicly here (I'm still working out the details of that), but if I don't, know that I absolutely have goals. I may not be able to cross off everything on my list, but failing to plan is planning to fail. And we all know I just can't have that!

No comments: