Wednesday, December 4, 2013

In the Kitchen with Jason: Peach Crumb Dessert (and a homemade yellow cake mix recipe!)


This is little chef Jess here! I'm part of the mommy group at our church, and this past week, I was in charge of bringing a sweet snack to our meeting. I wanted something simple but super tasty, then foolishly decided to try a new recipe.

Thankfully, the dessert was a huge hit! I love that this recipe serves a lot, is very low cost and all the ingredients can be stocked in your pantry and fridge for months.

Ingredients
  • Yellow cake mix (see below for a homemade version)
  • About 30 oz. canned peaches (I used peaches in light syrup, but if you have peaches in juice, that will work too!)
  • 1 stick butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar
Directions
  1. Open the cans of peaches and dump them and their juice/syrup into a 9 x 13 cake pan. Cut the slices of peaches. I sliced mine in half; feel free to do yours smaller if you prefer.
  2. Dump the yellow cake mix on top of the peaches and spread it out a bit so all the peaches are covered.
  3. Cut the stick of butter into 18 to 20 slices. Place slices of butter on top of the yellow cake mix in rows.
  4. Dump brown sugar on top and spread it out a bit so all the butter and other yumminess is covered.
  5. Bake the cake in a 350 degree pre-heated oven for 40 minutes.
I actually chose this recipe, in part, because I had two boxes of yellow cake mix in our pantry. I have a good habit of checking expiration dates before I use anything and unfortunately, they were both expired (why I used to buy food without a plan to make it is beyond me). I used flour, sugar, baking powder and dry milk to make yellow cake mix.

Directions for yellow cake mix
  1. Measure out 2 cups flour, 1.5 cups sugar, 1 tablespoon baking powder and a half cup dry milk into a bowl. Mix well.
  2. If you're using this cake mix in the peach crumb dessert recipe, mix 1 teaspoon vanilla extract in with the peaches in the cake pan.
Please note: You can also make up bags of yellow cake mix using the above recipe to store in your pantry if you regularly use yellow cake mix (I don't, in case that wasn't obvious before). If you do use yellow cake mix often and desire to store it in your pantry and use later, please note that you will need to always add 1 teaspoon vanilla to your recipe as you're making it as store-bought mixes have this added in already to their mix.

Please enjoy!

-Little chef Jess

No comments: