Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Crafty Christmas: Sugared Lemon Body Scrub

Christmas Countdown: Christmas is just 1 week away!


If you're in need of a last minute gift, this one takes just minutes to put together and will be a huge hit for any lady on your list! This would be extra perfect for anyone who works laboriously - I'm thinking of gardeners and construction workers in particular. This body scrub is best used on arms, legs and hands. I would not recommend this for use on one's face or in any other area where one's skin is more delicate.

I made this for one gift last year (I test almost every new homemade or gift idea on my mom), and it was a huge hit! My mom specifically requested I make two more jars for her this Christmas. She said she used it on her legs prior to shaving. After using the scrub, she then shaved her legs, without any cream or other type of shaving gel, and she said she had never got a closer shave or smoother legs. She's pretty much in love with this scrub now!


Here's what you need to make this homemade body scrub:
  • 1.5 cups sugar
  • 1/3 cup kosher salt
  • 1 cup EVOO
  • Zest of one large lemon
  • 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract (optional, but I did use this)
Here's how to make homemade body scrub:
  1. Mix sugar, salt and EVOO in a mixing bowl. Mix all together.
  2. Zest the lemon right into the mixing bowl and mix that in with the sugar mixture.
  3. If you desire an extra lemon-y smell, add the extract.
  4. Scoop the mixture into a half pint canning jar.
The scrub mixture yields 2 half pint jars. Feel free to double, triple or quadruple as needed. I doubled my batch for gifts this year.

Happy crafting!

No comments: