We had an abundance of canned tomatoes, due to our garden and free tomatoes that were gifted to us. We mostly use our canned tomatoes for chili but also tried this recipe. We would definitely make this soup again. It's really easy, healthy and tasty.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 28 oz. canned tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion starts to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes and the chicken broth. Simmer the tomato mixture for 10 minutes.
- Working in batches, add the hot tomato mixture to a blender or food processor, and process until very smooth.
- Add the smooth soup back to the sauce pan and add the cream. Stir to combine and serve right away.