We have been trying out new ingredients lately, and fresh cranberries was one of them. The tartness of them is balanced out well in this recipe. One fresh bag of cranberries includes enough berries to make this recipe three times. If that doesn't work for you, put the berries on a cookie sheet in the freezer for one hour. Then, store in a Ziploc bag. You can use fresh or frozen berries in this recipe.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 cup milk, at room temperature
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a muffin pan and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, sift together flour and baking powder. Mix in cornmeal.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar. Beat in egg. Add dry ingredients to the butter mixture, alternately with the milk, until well blended. Fold in the cranberries.
- Spoon batter evenly into prepared muffin pan. Bake for 20 minutes, until muffins turn light golden brown and an inserted toothpick comes out mostly clean.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing muffins and allowing to cool completely on a wire rack.