Monday, November 25, 2013

Crafty Christmas: Chai Tea Mix

Christmas Countdown: Christmas is just 4 weeks away!

I have been waiting to make this for years and years. I could not make it until we had a blender. We bought a Vita Mix earlier this year, and I have to say it was one of the best purchases from this year for our family, especially since I can now make this gift!

My cost for this project was about $8. As you can see, I made six gifts. But I have enough ingredients to make another batch of this chai tea mix. So you can make at least 12 jam-sized jars of chai tea mix. The cost per gift, then, is about 67 cents.


For that price, feel free to make this for your neighbors, bus drivers, hair stylist, children's teachers, strangers you meet on the street, your friendly neighborhood cashier, etc.

I'm not a fan of chai tea, but many of our relatives and Jason are fans. Jason taste tested this for me and said it tasted great! I don't even need six jars of this to give away, so I'm holding a couple back for Jason. I plan to make another batch early next year to use up the ingredients. Jason will have chai tea for quite a while!

Here's what you need to make chai tea mix:
  • 1 cup powdered milk
  • 1 cup non-dairy powdered coffee creamer
  • 1 cup French vanilla flavored non-dairy powdered coffee creamer
  • 2.5 cups sugar
  • 1.5 cups unsweetened instant tea
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons ginger
  • 1 teaspoon cloves
  • 1 teaspoon cardamom
Here's how you make chai tea mix:
  1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl using a whisk.
  2. Working in batches, add the mixture to a blender and blend until the powder becomes fine.
  3. Add the fine powder to jars.
  4. Add a label to the jar instructing the recipient to use 1 to 2 tablespoons of chai tea mix to an 8-ounce cup of hot water.

Happy crafting!

4 comments:

Nana said...

I was hoping you posted the recipe for this. I have been drinking the stuff you gave Bob = he may not get any!! xoxo

Jess and Jason said...

I'm so glad you like it!!! :)

Catherine Mocny said...

BROTHER! Have you tried this with a pumpkin flare? Substitute 2 cups Pumpkin Spice dry creamer for the other creamers and then add 1 t nutmeg and 1 t allspice..... I'm trying it tonight. I CANNOT wait! :) :)

Jess and Jason said...

Jess here. Jason is not a huge fan of pumpkin (and neither am I, oddly). But I'm super excited for you to try a pumpkin version! Please let us know how it turns out :) I'm pretty sure we're the only two people on earth who don't like pumpkin so much!