Monday, August 26, 2013

Crafty Christmas: Raspberry Tea Mix in a Jar

Christmas Countdown: Christmas is just 17 weeks away!

I love consumable gifts. Marry that with gifts in jars, and I'm one happy camper. I originally found a recipe for raspberry tea mix in a Crafts n Things magazine years ago but have since lost that recipe. Here's the recipe I came up with as a replacement:
  • 1.25 cups sugar
  • 1 cup unsweetened instant tea
  • About .5 ounce of raspberry instant drink mix
For a little extra fun, add some cardamom, cinnamon, ginger and/or nutmeg to the drink mix. I use about a half teaspoon when I want to add in a little something extra, and sometimes I add in a half teaspoon each of all four options! Just use whatever you're in the mood for with that particular mix.

Mix the ingredients in a big bowl. Once the ingredients are thoroughly mixed, use a funnel to pour the mix into ball jars. One batch makes two half-pint jars with a smidge left over.


When gifting, make a label that indicates how much to use. For a mug of water (about 8 ounces), use 1 Tbsp.{ish} of mix. You can definitely use less - whatever tastes good to you.


Jason loves this tea as does my brother and his family. The tea mix makes for an easy gift that's easy on the wallet. We buy a big canister of unsweetened tea for a few dollars, and that canister easily makes six batches. We spent a couple of dollars on raspberry drink mix that made two batches. I would say the cost for one jar is about $1.75. I've heard there are raspberry Kool-Aid packets, but I have never seen these. If you find them, you need about two packets, and one packet usually costs about 20 cents, not on sale. So if you can find them, you can get your cost of this drink mix down to $1 or less per jar.

Happy crafting!

No comments: