Thursday, July 25, 2013

Crafty Christmas: Snowman Smile Ornament

Christmas Countdown: Christmas is just 22 weeks away!

Okay, ya'll know I just cannot resist felt ornaments! In general, felt ornaments are easy, quick, and cheap - my favorite kind of craft! I first found this idea via Pinterest, but when I followed the link to see the tutorial, the link led me to a kit I could purchase for $12 from joanns.com. I thought that was a bit ridiculous since I could make the ornaments for far less than $12. But I wanted to give everyone else a tutorial to follow because it can be very daunting to look at a project and just make it without one {my husband would know - he hears me grumbling when I'm figuring out a project sans tutorial}. 


Here's what you need to make this snowman smile ornament: 
  • White felt
  • Orange felt 
  • Two pink buttons
  • Blue ribbon
  • Black embroidery thread
  • Pink embroidery thread
  • Orange embroidery thread
  • Blue embroidery thread
  • White embroidery thread
  • Fiberfill
  • Needle
  • Embroidery hoop 
  • Scissors 
  • Pins
  • Paper
  • Pencil
  • Glass
  • Black Sharpie marker
I know the supplies list looks daunting, but these supplies are extremely cheap. The only thing I needed to purchase to make this project was pink buttons. I purchased a big bag of them at Joann's for $2.29 before coupons {always, always use a coupon at Joann's, please!!!}. Depending on your own craft stockpile, you may need to purchase a bit more, but this project is still cheap, I promise! 

Directions: 
  1. You need to make the back circle part first. I have found the best way to do this is to use a glass and tailor's chalk. However, since we're using white felt for the circles, tailor's chalk, which is white, doesn't really work. So I used a Sharpie marker and held it very, very lightly. Please be very careful if you use this method and have limited felt {thankfully, this was not my case, but I've screwed up loads of times with other projects and know what can easily go wrong!}. You may choose to make a circle in another way, perhaps by printing a circle template from the web and pinning it to the white felt. Your choice. 
  2. Cut out the back circle. You're just going to set this to the side for now, but it will help serve as a reference for the front piece since you will be free-handing that and won't want to make the face too big for the front which you wouldn't have cut out yet. 
  3. Put a piece of white felt in an embroidery hoop and thread your needle with black thread. We're going to start with the eyes. I used a straight stitch for the eyes, and I stitched each eye several times so they would be extra noticeable. You want to sew each eye separately. After you finish Mr. Snowman's first eye, knot the thread, cut it and start anew for the second eye. If you do not, you will be able to see the black thread between the eyes after Mr. Snowman is completely finished. Sewing the eyes separately is cleaner. 
  4. Next comes the big orange carrot nose. Mine is extra big because I'm just fun that way, but feel free to make yours a bit smaller. I drew a carrot nose on a piece of paper, cut it out and pinned it to the orange felt. Then, I cut out the nose. Simple! Pin the orange carrot nose to the white piece of felt. I used a stitch that I do not even know the name of, but it's a simple stitch. You can just any type of stitch you would prefer. 
  5. After the nose, sew on the pink buttons. 
  6. Here comes the incredibly tricky part: sewing the smile. This was very difficult for me on the first ornament and super easy on the second. My best advice: go really, really slowly and use your needle and thread to keep visualizing the smile as you make it. 
  7. After the smile is finished, remove Mr. Snowman from the embroidery hoop, flip it over and use the glass and Sharpie marker to draw a circle. Cut out the circle. Now you have two white circles. 
  8. Take the back circle and sew a bit of ribbon loop at the end so Mr. Snowman can hang on a tree when he's done. I used white embroidery thread here so it wouldn't be so obvious later where I stitched the ribbon to the felt. 
  9. After the ribbon is sewed on, you're ready to pin the two pieces together and sew them together. I used three different pins and started at the top of Mr. Snowman, just to the right of the blue ribbon loop. I used a blanket stitch to stitch Mr. Snowman up, and I really feel this is a great stitch for circle ornaments. You can find free tutorials online if you're having trouble {and trust me, I always have trouble and am so thankful to the free tutorials online!}. 
  10. Make sure you leave an opening to stuff Mr. Snowman! Just to the left of the blue ribbon loop, I left about an inch or so of an opening and stuffed him up. Once he was stuffed, I pinned the top as much as I could where there was still an opening. I finished my blanket stitch and once my thread was right next to the blue ribbon loop, I did three straight stitches at the top to finish him off. 
Each ornament, from start to finish, took me about three hours. I'm a very slow sewer, though, so depending on your skill level, you may be able to make one much, much faster! 

Happy crafting! 

No comments: