Friday, May 24, 2013

This Book Room: The Offering

After growing up an only child, Amanda Lisandra wants a big family. But since she and her soldier husband can’t afford to have more children right away, Mandy decides to earn money as a gestational carrier for a childless couple. She loves being pregnant, and while carrying the child, she dreams of having her own son and maybe another daughter. . . .

Just when the nearly perfect pregnancy is about to conclude, unexpected tragedy enters Mandy’s world and leaves her reeling. Devastated by grief, she surrenders the child she was carrying and struggles to regain her emotional equilibrium.

Two years later she studies a photograph of the baby she bore and wonders if the unthinkable has happened—could she have inadvertently given away her own biological child? Over the next few months Mandy struggles to decide between the desires of her grief-stricken heart and what’s best for the little boy she has never known.

My thoughts: This book was absolutely stunning and positively gripping. It held my attention from the first page. The characters are a little odd - I'm not sure I could relate to them, but the plot was insanely good.

I've struggled inwardly with whether procedures such as IVF are truly a good idea. I won't share my ultimate view points on that kind of thing here, but I will say that this author did a wonderful job in presenting reasons why it is and is not a good idea. That's not really what this book was about - I think this book really is whatever you want it to be. If you just want a really good book to read, this is it. If you want a book that links Biblical truths to everyday life in new ways, this is it. If you want a book that questions scientific procedures, this is it.

If you're not a fan of Christian fiction, no worries - this book probably technically is, but you won't notice it reading it if you're not a Christian. I really think this book would be great for any woman, but perhaps particularly so for mothers.

I was such a fan of the preacher's epiphany of sorts that Mary was a surrogate when carrying Jesus. What a profound truth. That blew me away. There are so many good parts to this book - I don't want to name them all. I'd rather you check out this book for yourself! This is one of the best books I've read all year.

Thanks to Litfuse Publicity Group for providing a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

No comments: