Monday, May 20, 2013

Beauty Fix: Best Bargain Buys, Part 1

I'm all for saving money where I can, and beauty is one area in which I don't like to spend a lot of money. I keep my beauty routine incredibly simple and rarely wear color cosmetics. Over the next few months, I'm going to share the best bargain buys of beauty that I've tried and loved. I'll also share the few beauty items that are worth splurging on. Please always keep in mind that I'm sharing what my own experience has been with these items - you may choose to buy the cheapest item if that item has worked for you, or maybe you need to purchase a higher quality item if you've had problems with less quality items.

Onto the bargains!

This is one bargain buy that really isn't a bargain buy, in terms of the fact that you can get the same type of item for much, much cheaper. But if you have issues like I do, you'll want this item: clinical strength deodorant. Clinical strength deodorant is much more expensive than regular deodorant, but regular deodorant doesn't work for me. Even if I just sit on my butt and work for 8 hours typing, I smell like a man who's worked in the fields all.day.long. I've tried regular deodorant and it only minimally takes away my natural scent. Clinical strength deodorant completely masks my natural scent so I don't scare away my husband. You'll also appreciate clinical strength deodorant if you have sensitive skin. I do - particularly in my armpit area. I itch a lot less when I use clinical strength deodorant and the appearance of my skin improves over time when I regularly use it as opposed to when I use just any deodorant. My pick: Secret Clinical Strength Deodorant in Lavender scent

A smile is truly the most beautiful thing anyone can wear. And teeth is one of the first things I notice about a person. Taking care of one's teeth can be a struggle, at least when it comes to flossing. Floss picks make flossing easy and quick. You can read more about why I love floss picks so much here. There are many brands of floss picks one can purchase. I've tried many kinds, but there's one brand that clearly stands out. My pick: DenTek Comfort Clean Floss Picks

One odd thing about me is that I really don't like hand cream. My hands feel icky and wet after I use it, so I just generally tend to stay away from hand cream. But my skin is really, really dry and this past winter/spring, my skin started cracking. I don't know if it was all the pregnancy/new mom hormones or what, but the cracks hurt and were ugly. Despite the fact that I don't use hand cream, I always have a lot of it on hand. I knew just which hand cream would take care of my hands, and it certainly did. You'll find no better hand cream. My pick: Neutrogena Norwegian Hand Cream

I think one thing every woman collects to a certain extent is perfume/scents. I have several and really enjoy being able to put on whatever scent best matches my mood that day. If you enjoy simple, clean scents, though, and are on a budget (and who isn't on a budget, really?), you'll get the best bang for your buck and scent by using essential oils. Just put a little dab wherever you desire - I prefer my wrists, neck and behind ears. A little goes a loooong way and a big bottle will last for months and months. My pick: lavender essential oil

There you have it - part 1 of my favorite bargain beauty buys! So tell me: what are your favorite bargain beauty buys?

4 comments:

Bookworm said...

If you have a problem with stinky underarms the answer is take a zinc tablet everyday. This will cure it completely for pennies. My husband was the worst and it fixed it for him. If your problem is excessive sweating...then it won't help. But if you stink...take zinc!!

Jess and Jason said...

Thank you for the tip!!

Rose said...

I use secret clinical deodorant, as well. Joel was sooo surprised when he found out how much it cost. I was like, "sorry I'm gross, babe, but I assure you that this price is worth it." He agreed, LOL. I've heard about zinc, too, but I'm super sweaty, rather than super stinky.

In other scent-related news, I've heard that rubbing lavender oil on your palms and smelling it can help with seasonal allergies. I'm sure you can put it other places on your body and get a good whiff, too. I've been meaning to try it, along with nettle tea / soup. If I end up with any leeway in the grocery budget next month, I may make essential oils (probably lavender, eucalyptus, and tea tree to start - is that a good choice?) will be my splurge.

Thanks for this blog. I <3 you. :D

Jess and Jason said...

Clinical deo is expensive, but like you said, SO worth it! I will try that trick with lavender oil, though I'm actually out of that right now. I really need to buy some more. We have a couple of natural stores around us in Fenton so I might check this out sometime with my girl to see if that's a comparable deal to amazon.com. I would agree those three are a good place to start. A lot of other people also swear by orange essential oil, particularly with cleaning. For body products, though, those three would be the most popular.