Thursday, April 4, 2013

This Book Room: What She Wants

Before I get into the summary of the book, additional notes and my thoughts, I have to share a bit of back story of how I came to read this book and any of Sheila's books. Many years ago, Sheila first caught my attention with her Christmas books, particularly On Strike for Christmas which was also made into a movie. Once I read that book, I was hooked. Sheila's writing is fun and quirky. She is a truly talented and unique author. 

Recently, I joined Sheila's street team - this means I will receive her books in advance to review for all of you! I am super stoked about this opportunity to read her amazing books before they are published for the rest of the world and to share my thoughts on them with all of you. 

What do women want? Jonathan Templar and his poker buddies can't figure it out. Take Jonathan, for instance. He's been in love with Lissa Castle since they were kids but, geek that he is, she's never seen him as her Mr. Perfect. He has one last shot—their high school reunion. Kyle Long is equally discouraged. The pretty receptionist at his office keeps passing him over for other guys who may be taller but are definitely not superior. And Adam Edwards might be the most successful of Jonathan's friends, but he isn't having any success on the home front. His wife's kicked him out.

When Jonathan stumbles on a romance novel at the Icicle Falls library sale, he knows he's found the love expert he's been seeking—Vanessa Valentine, top-selling romance author. At first his buddies laugh at him for reading romance novels, but soon they, too, realize that these stories are the world's best textbooks on love. Poker night becomes book club night…and when all is read and done, they're going to be the kind of men women want!


Additional notes: This is the third and latest book in the Life in Icicle Falls series. You can read my review of the first book here and the second book here. So far as I know, this series is ongoing.

My thoughts: This is most definitely my favorite book in this series thus far. This book is one of the most unique books I've ever read - it's a chick lit book but told from a guy's point of view. This made for some interesting reading. I actually found myself feeling bad for my husband, Jason - he's told me he felt clueless when we first started dating and now that I've read first-hand what guys think, I feel horribly that I didn't clue Jason in more sooner! I didn't realize how difficult it was to know what women want.

I loved the little surprise midway through the book, and it totally caught me off guard. It's rare when a chick lit book can maintain some level of surprise - but Sheila absolutely does in this book. There are surprises and twists I didn't see coming, and I loved that. While I'm not such a fan of reading romance books and couldn't relate to the characters in that way, I found myself cheering the guys on (or silently yelling at them in my head) when the occasion called for it.

So what do women want? Here's what this woman wants: a man who will love her forever, no matter what. I've found that in my husband. He may have been clueless by his own admission when we began dating, but I can promise you that he definitely has a clue or two now. If you're still wondering what women want, I would start there. Love her. For all her mistakes and in spite of all her mistakes. For all she's done and all she hasn't done. For all she is and all she never will be. Just love.

No comments: