Friday, March 29, 2013

This Book Room: Unrivaled

Lucy Kendall always assumed she'd help her father in his candy-making business, creating recipes and aiding him in their shared passion. But after a year traveling in Europe, Lucy returns to 1910 St. Louis to find her father unwell and her mother planning to sell the struggling candy company. Determined to help, Lucy vows to create a candy that will reverse their fortunes.

St. Louis newcomer Charlie Clarke is determined to help his father dominate the nation's candy industry. Compromise is not an option when the prize is a father's approval, and falling in love with a business rival is a recipe for disaster when only one company can win. Will these two star-crossed lovers let a competition that turns less than friendly sour their dreams?

My thoughts: This book caught my interest simply because of the candy factor. What can I say, I am married to Chef Jason, after all! I had never read one of Siri Mitchell's books before, but I was in for a treat.

There's something about the characters that reminded me of Jack and Rose from Titanic. Jack and Charlie have similarities just as Rose and Lucy have similarities. Charlie is trying to reconcile his past with his present and future. He wants to please his dad, but his dad isn't necessarily a stand-up guy. While the old Charlie may have been okay with that, the new Charlie wants to be a better man.

Lucy, just like Rose in Titanic, is fighting against what her mother thinks is best for her versus her heart's desire: to be part of her father's candy business. How does she satisfy her mother while also satisfying herself?

The character struggles really made this book for me. The plot was, at times, confusing, and some of the extra characters distracted me (such as the Clarkes' maid and Lucy's friend). Lucy and Charlie's heart struggles made sense and were something all of us can relate to. It was really funny to read about Lucy's journey as the "Queen." As a character, she has a lot of spunk. I wonder if in our modern times if we would be receptive to a role model like Lucy. I personally would be, but society, I think, would not. We expect so much of people in the spotlight. It's like we'd rather they be robots than real people.

The historical aspects of this book made it stand out - I truly enjoyed reading about how businesses would advertise "back in the day." It's definitely a lot different now! Even the way workers were treated and what was allowed - it reminds me of how far we've come as a nation and how far we could go.

As you can tell, this book made me think of a lot of things! If a book stays with me weeks after I read it and I'm still contemplating issues it made me think about, I know it was a good one. And this book was definitely a good one.

Thanks to Litfuse Publicity Group for providing a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. 

1 comment:

Siri Mitchell said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed my book! Thanks so much for taking the time to write and post a review.