Thursday, March 21, 2013

This Book Room: Pocket Your Dollars

Countless free budget plans are available for every possible income level and stage of life. So why do more than 60 percent of U.S. households still live paycheck to paycheck? The key to financial stability and success isn't just about money--it's about attitudes. Carrie Rocha uses the lessons she learned overcoming personal debt to teach readers how to triumph over the lies we tell ourselves, such as "I deserve a treat," "Fake it till you make it," and "I can't afford it." Each chapter uses real-life examples to explain faulty thinking about money, followed by step-by-step instructions for how to overcome these pitfalls. Budgets are helpful, but real change won't happen without a financial attitude adjustment.

My thoughts: This book blew.my.mind. It's exactly the book I'd been wanting to write - but now I definitely don't need to! This book isn't a "how you get rich quick" book. And it's not a "here's how to live on a budget" book. Don't you think there are enough of those? I certainly do.

Instead, this book is one of a kind and much, much needed! Carrie discusses the different attitudes one has toward money. I can tell you right now: I don't care how great you are with money, I don't care how fantastic your attitude is. Chapter 5 will relate to you if you're already money savvy. I read it and thought, "OMG, ___ needs to read this! OMG, I'm totally this way. Jason, you have to get in here. Doesn't this totally apply to us? Don't you think ____ and ____ should read this?" Literally, anyone I know could read chapter 5 and glean something new from it. EVERYONE!

This book was such an encouragement to my soul. It's not about how to save a few dollars. It's about how to change your entire mindset so you begin the challenge of tackling money and making traction with your goals, whatever they may be. It's about why you weren't able to save money, but how you can now if you recognize your pitfalls and properly deal with them.

Chapters 1 through 5 include a quiz at the end chapter - these were so helpful! Jason and I had so much fun doing them. We were rock stars with the quizzes... until chapter 5! I'm telling you: chapter 5 changed my life.

No matter where you're at in your financial life, this book will encourage you and change your life. It is absolutely a must read and my most favorite book I've read in 2013 so far.

Thanks to Bethany House Publishers for a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. 

No comments: