Monday, February 4, 2013

State of Our House Address: January in review

I'm a little geeked it's 2013, even though the year started out with all kinds of news, and we started to feel very uncertain about the future. But we remind ourselves daily that the future is uncertain and we just have to rest in the knowledge that God loves us and has plans for us!

We focused on keeping the house clean in January and working on special projects. As part of my goals for this year, I knit a scarf for Jason. Doesn't he look so handsome in it?


Originally, we were keeping little Monster's room very neutral, since we don't know until little one comes out if it is a boy or a girl. But with the nickname Monster, the room kind of developed a monster theme, which we think is appropriate for either gender {and we know others will disagree, particularly my mum!}. Here's the monster decals we added to Monster's wall above the crib:


As far as the pregnancy itself, I'm starting to feel a little bit like I did in my first trimester, minus the sickness. I only want very specific foods and I have very strong cravings. Let's just say that Monster loves sugar and carbs. That's all I want to eat! Thankfully, this means I can eat as much fruit as I want as our grocery budget will allow and little one is satisfied with that. And while it's certainly fun not to have to worry about calories so much since I've gained minimal weight {little one currently weighs more than I've gained}, it's a bit annoying to always crave french fries, burgers, soda, etc.!

Speaking of fruit, we recently purchased a Vitamix blender. We had been wanting one for years and years. Once we knew we were expecting, we knew it was time to get one. And boy, was it worth the wait! Here's one of my favorite smoothies {blackberry and banana}:


We plan to make Monster's baby food in there once Monster is of that age. The Vitamix is one of those appliances that can save money in the long run. Even with how expensive the Vitamix was, we believe we will break even on our purchase in about 32 weeks. Yay for saving money!

This pregnancy also seems to be a season of learning. We took Financial Peace University classes in the fall, and since the fall, we've been taking Bradley birthing classes. We finished those up in January, then promptly started taking adult instructional classes at our church to learn more about our Lutheran faith. The classes will run until the end of February - I'm just praying we keep up our record of perfect attendance for all these classes and Monster doesn't arrive too early!

February will be a little crazy busy with all the plans and goals we have. There's quite a bit yet to do before Monster arrives. We have a list, though, and we're ready to tackle everything on it! We pray your February is productive and rewarding!

2 comments:

Carlye Jean Rankin said...

I love the monster theme! So cute! I know my daughter Hailey would love to have that on her walls.

I have the Ninja instead of the Vitamix. Maybe in a few years I will upgrade. :)

Praying your little Monster will come at the right time and that he/she is healthy! So happy for you both!

Jess and Jason said...

Thank you so much for your prayers! We appreciate them more than we could ever say.

I'm glad to hear you and your little one would love the monster theme! Ever since we started calling the baby Monster, we started to notice so many monster books, monster decor, etc. It's awesome! :)