Thursday, December 6, 2012

This Book Room

The author of the acclaimed "Spinning Forward" welcomes readers back to the lush Florida island of Cedar Key, weaving together heartwarming moments and real-life challenges in a beautifully crafted, uplifting novel.

Additional notes: This is the second book in the Cedar Key series. You can read my review of the first book here. There are currently three full-length books in this series, and a fourth is due out in 2013.

My thoughts: Terri's plots are always interesting, and this plot really gripped me, however, her characters could use some redeeming qualities. Monica is not so lovely. I just felt so bad for Clarissa, Monica's stepdaughter, throughout this whole book.


The adventures of Laura Ingalls and her family continue as they leave their little house on the prairie and travel in their covered wagon to Minnesota. Here they settle in a little house made of sod beside the banks of beautiful Plum Creek. Soon Pa builds a wonderful new little house with real glass windows and a hinged door. Laura and her sister Mary go to school, help with the chores, and fish in the creek. At night everyone listens to the merry music of Pa's fiddle. Misfortunes come in the form of a grasshopper plague and a terrible blizzard, but the pioneer family works hard together to overcome these troubles.

Additional notes: This is the fourth book in the Little House on the Prairie series. You can read my review of the first book here, the second book here and the third book here. There are nine books in this series and all have been released.

My thoughts: This was such a lovely and fun book, but definitely not without its struggles! This little family has traveled to their new home, but the land there and what occurs is so strange to them {and to me!}.

In 2000, Daniel Suelo left his life savings-all thirty dollars of it-in a phone booth. He has lived without money-and with a newfound sense of freedom and security-ever since.

The Man Who Quit Money is an account of how one man learned to live, sanely and happily, without earning, receiving, or spending a single cent. Suelo doesn't pay taxes, or accept food stamps or welfare. He lives in caves in the Utah canyonlands, forages wild foods and gourmet discards. He no longer even carries an I.D. Yet he manages to amply fulfill not only the basic human needs-for shelter, food, and warmth-but, to an enviable degree, the universal desires for companionship, purpose, and spiritual engagement. In retracing the surprising path and guiding philosophy that led Suelo into this way of life, Sundeen raises provocative and riveting questions about the decisions we all make, by default or by design, about how we live-and how we might live better.

My thoughts: So, I heard of this book through goodreads.com's best books of 2012 voting contest. It looked interesting, so I thought I'd give it a go. While I'm still glad I read it {it helps that the story is written in an easy-to-read manner}, I really had no positive feelings for Daniel. His views are a bit... well, delusional, in some aspects. And I'm not sure I'm surprised as he doesn't live clean {ie. he takes drugs}. So of course, he's delusional! There were a lot of parts of this book that bothered me, as a Christian and a woman and a person who desires to leave a good footprint on this Earth. I would not recommend this one at all.

It’s revenge of the nerds when Jon grabs Garfield’s traditional lead role and takes center stage with a delightfully dorky new book of his own.

Through classic comics, blog entries, and a wealth of other wacky new material, experience Jon’s dating disasters, phone call faux pas, wardrobe malfunctions, and mirthful mishaps—and cheer the geek with a heart of gold as he finally finds true love with Liz, the veterinarian. (Who’d have thunk it?)

So, rejoice, Jon fans, and enjoy the fun. The moment of goof has arrived!

Additional notes: There are so many Garfield books out and I've read just about all of them. You can search for reviews for all Garfield books by typing "Garfield" into the search bar located on this blog.

My thoughts: I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that this book didn't have me laughing quite as hard as other Garfield books - Garfield was not the main character! And we all know how much I love the little orange furball. Jon is hilarious, though, and he definitely deserved his own book. I loved hearing Jim Davis' take on this character - his comments are sprinkled throughout the book and add a lot to discerning Jon's nerdiness.

It’s no secret that breastfeeding is the normal, healthy way to nourish and nurture your baby. Dedicated to supporting nursing and expectant mothers, the internationally respected La Leche League has set the standard for educating and empowering mothers in this natural art for generations. Now their classic bestselling guide has been retooled, refocused, and updated for today’s mothers and lifestyles. Working mothers, stay-at-home moms, single moms, and mothers of multiples will all benefit from the book’s range of nursing advice, stories, and information—from preparing for breastfeeding during pregnancy to feeding cues, from nursing positions to expressing and storing breast milk.

My thoughts: First, I have to start by saying this is a terrific book for any woman who's feeling nervous about breastfeeding and/or has no clue what she's doing {oh, that's me!}. I found this book so helpful and useful that it even made it on my Christmas list. However, there are a couple of chapters that I will definitely never read again. One was a chapter on nursing toddlers. Included were quotes children had said, and it was obvious the authors thought these quotes would make someone want to nurse a toddler. I don't know why, as the quotes absolutely made me cringe and never want to nurse a talking child. So that didn't really work out too well in the book's favor, but that's okay. It's still a useful and practical guide to breastfeeding. Every breastfeeding woman should read this book.


No comments: