Thursday, October 25, 2012

This Book Room

This touching story allows us to see into the lives of the Baxter family as Erin and Sam attempt to adopt a child. As the family looks forward to a heartwarming reunion, they find out that Mr. and Mrs. Baxter have a secret that could change their lives forever.

Additional notes: This is the fifth and final book in the Redemption series. You can read my review of the first book here, the second book here, the third book here and the fourth book here.

My thoughts: I was a bit disappointed in this book as it didn't focus on Erin and Sam as much as I expected it to. The one drawback to this series, for me, was that so much of it focused on Landon and Ashley's story. That annoyed me. But I still enjoyed this series and am in the throes of reading the second Baxters' series, Firstborn.

A family travels from the big woods of Wisconsin to a new home on the prairie, where they build a house, meet neighboring Indians, build a well, and fight a fire.

Additional notes: Goodreads.com has this book listed as the second book in the Little House on the Prairie series {but other sites have it listed as the third book, so read in the order you desire}. There are nine books in this series and all have been released. You can read my review of the first book here.

My thoughts: I thoroughly enjoyed every bit of this book. At times, the book made me tear up, want to yell in anger at Pa {particularly the Jack scene near the beginning} and in general, I just want to live in this era. My absolute favorite part of this book was the Christmas bit. I want my children to grow up with a sense of awe of their stockings {my husband and I are only stuffing stockings, there will be no stand-alone presents under the tree}. I loved how the girls shared their awe of their stockings. It was so great.

“Never marry a man unless he’s short, bald, fat, stupid, and treats you badly.” That is the advice that twenty-nine-year-old Lily Burns has heard her entire life from her grandmother Dolly and her mother, Selma. Despite this, when she meets Gogo, the handsome, successful pediatrician who treats her like a queen, she has no choice but to let her heart take over. When she agrees to marry him, Dolly and Selma are inconsolable. They decide it’s time to tell her the truth: their family is cursed. If she marries for love, there will be unimaginable consequences.

Nevertheless, Lily and Gogo elope. Unable to believe her good fortune, Lily asks Gogo to pinch her—to make sure all this isn’t just a dream. The moment he does, Lily finds herself transported back to the house she lived in when she was single. Gogo is gone. When Lily tracks him down, she finds that he’s married to someone else and has no memory of her. In this modern fairy tale, Lily must find a way to break the curse and turn her nightmare back into a dream come true.

My thoughts: This book is really fun and fanciful. Adena is fantastic at taking a situation that could never happen and making it fun and funny to read. Her books are kind of along the same vein as the movie 13 Going on 30. Such fun. This is a great chick lit book perfect for summertime or a cold winter's night.

In the bestselling tradition of Kate Jacobs' "The Friday Night Knitting Club" comes a wonderfully assured women's fiction debut, brimming with warmth and wit, about starting over and crafting an ideal life.

Additional notes: This is the first book in the Cedar Key series. There are a few other books out for this series, and as far as I know, this series is ongoing.

My thoughts: I remember I picked up this book a year or so ago and tried to read it, but didn't enjoy it. I'm glad I picked it up again this year and read it, but if you're looking for characters to love, this is not the book for you. The characters were quite annoying for me. But if you like quirky characters {even if you don't really like the characters themselves}, this book will have redeeming qualities. The book was a little too predictable for me, but I love knitting series' so much that I'll definitely keep reading this one.

When Anna spots a cat in the yard behind her parents' doll shop, she is excited. Then she realizes the cat is about to have kittens--even better! And Anna has something else to look forward to: her cousin Tania is coming from Russia to stay with Anna's family. Anna already has two sisters, but she and Tania are the exact same age--eleven--and she imagines they will get along perfectly. But Tania doesn't respond to Anna's friendly overtures, and her sisters don't seem to like Tania at all. Luckily, Anna finds a creative way to use her love of dolls and cats to bring everyone together.

My thoughts: I cannot say enough how much I love this book {as well as the The Doll Shop Downstairs which you should read first}. There were parts of this book that made me seriously tear up and vow anew to do everything I can to help animals because so many people are just plain cruel and I don't get it. Thankfully, Anna and her sisters and her cousin come to the rescue. These little girls are so lovely. I adore them. Every little girl needs to read these books. They are so wonderful.

No comments: