Friday, October 19, 2012

This Book Room

This latest release in the Redemption series reunites readers with the continuing saga of the Baxter family. Brooke Baxter has achieved everything this world has to offer-a prestigious career, a beautiful home, and two wonderful children. Her recent return to her faith is an encouragement to her family. But if she faces tremendous loss, can her fledgling faith and her rocky marriage survive?

Additional notes: This is the fourth book in the Redemption series. There are five books in this series, and all have been released. You can read my review of the first book here, the second book here and the third book here.

My thoughts: This story was difficult to read in that the plot line of Brooke's daughter broke my heart. I think that's what this series is best for: taking situations that you think could never happen to you and making you realize no one is invincible.

This first volume, covering the first two and a quarter years of the strip, will be of particular fascination to Peanuts aficionados worldwide: Although there have been literally hundreds of Peanuts books published, many of the strips from the series' first two or three years have never been collected before in large part because they showed a young Schulz working out the kinks in his new strip and include some characterizations and designs that are quite different from the cast we're all familiar with. (Among other things, three major cast members Schroeder, Lucy, and Linus initially show up as infants and only "grow" into their final "mature" selves as the months go by. Even Snoopy debuts as a puppy ) Thus The Complete Peanuts offers a unique chance to see a master of the art form refine his skills and solidify his universe, day by day, week by week, month by month. This volume is rounded out with Garrison Keillor's introduction, a biographical essay by David Michaelis (Schulz and Peanuts) and an in-depth interview with Schulz conducted in 1987 by Gary Groth and Rick Marschall, all wrapped in a gorgeous design by award-winning cartoonist Seth.

Additional notes: All of the strips are being released in Complete books. This is the first Complete book, and all the strips up to 1986 are released as of this writing.

My thoughts: I didn't really think I would like this book as I haven't read Peanuts throughout the years. But oh my, the strips are funny. But so mature! I really don't see how little ones would understand the jokes of the 50s era {and in the pursuit of honesty, some of them were over my head!}. I am looking forward to reading all of the Complete books now, though. Peanuts is a lot different than what I had thought - I highly recommend reading this book and seeing what you think.

Wolves and panthers and bears roam the deep Wisconsin woods in the late 1870's. In those same woods, Laura lives with Pa and Ma, and her sisters, Mary and Baby Carrie, in a snug little house built of logs. Pa hunts and traps. Ma makes her own cheese and butter. All night long, the wind howls lonesomely, but Pa plays the fiddle and sings, keeping the family safe and cozy.

Additional notes: This is the first book in the Little House on the Prairie series. There are nine books in this series and all have been released.

My thoughts: I don't know how went my whole life without reading this series, but I'm really glad I'm reading it now! I seriously long to live in this period. Some parts of this book are a little scary, but I think this series is still appropriate for children.

Nine-year-old Anna and her sisters love to play with the dolls in their parents' doll repair shop. But when World War I begins, an embargo on German-made goods-including the parts Papa needs to repair the dolls-threatens to put the family's shop out of business. Fortunately, Anna has an idea that just might save the day. Inspired by the true story of Madame Alexander, this is a timeless tale of family and imagination.

My thoughts: I love, love, love this book. Every little girl needs to read this book. It is so informative of the time period, but the story line is so, so sweet. It's fun and insightful and all around just a wonderful delight.

If forgiving your ex-husband was easy, everybody would do it.

Brent had cheated on Dayna and coldly said goodbye to her seven long years ago---dashing her hopes of having children or growing old with the love of her life. Working hard to make herself successful as a hospital executive, Dayna has moved on, finding comfort in a new dating relationship with a faith-filled colleague, Warren.

But when Brent resurfaces on her doorstep at just the wrong time, Dayna's heart threatens to come unglued. Why is Brent asking for forgiveness now? And why are he and his new wife, Tamara, interested in reconciliation with Dayna? The unbelievable answers begin to surface as Brent boldly asks Dayna to support him at the most crucial time of his life.

While Tamara's heart brims with guilt, both women will discover what it means to reach beyond pain and baggage to love unconditionally, leaving the consequences to God.


Additional notes: This is the first book in the Winds of Change series. The second book in this series is expected to be released in 2013.

My thoughts: This book was interesting. I liked it but I didn't like it. The characters were incredibly annoying, but the plot was interesting in concept. I felt disappointed overall with the book, but I'm a fan of this author and the next book looks far, far better than this one turned out to be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jess,
You might have answered this somewhere but....do you get all your books from the library? or do you have an e-reader as well?

ps....it's Rachel

Jess and Jason said...

Hi Rachel!!!

Great question - in general, yes, I get all the books I read from the library and I do not own an e-reader. There are a few exceptions to where I get my books. A few books I've read and reviewed this year came from loans from colleagues at work (for example: the Hunger Games books). I rarely, rarely buy books. But I just did recently buy and read (and have not yet reviewed) Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way. This is one of the only books (or possibly the only book now that I'm racking my brain) that I have purchased this year. And just as a side note: when I "bought" that book, I used SwagBucks to get amazon.com gift cards, so it actually didn't cost me a penny since I ordered it from amazon.com.

The other major exception is books I get from publishers to review officially on my blog. The book I'm reading now, Christmas in Apple Ridge, is sent to me for free from a publisher in exchange for a review on my blog. I LOVE doing this (who doesn't love free books!?!?).

I hope that answers your question! If not, let me know :)

-Jess