Wednesday, October 3, 2012

This Book Room

Leaving her little prairie town, Belinda Davis never dreamed that the excitement of living in Boston would leave her restless and empty inside. Wealth, literature, travel, and romance touched her life with choices and decisions that brought dissatisfaction rather than joy. She discovered that only when God had first place in her life was her peace restored. Belinda once again faces decisions about her life that are no less difficult than before. A very unexpected responsibility makes the choice even harder.

Additional notes: This is the final book in the Love Comes Softly series. You can read my review of the first book here, the second book here, the third book here, the fourth book here, the fifth book here, the sixth book here and the seventh book here.

My thoughts: This one wasn't my favorite in this series, but it was still well written and enjoyable. I highly recommend this series to anyone. I don't know how it took me this long to read it.

Fifteen years ago, Lainey O'Toole made a split-second decision. She couldn't have known that her choice would impact so many. Now in her mid-twenties, she is poised to go to culinary school when her car breaks down in Stoney Ridge, the very Amish town in which her long-reaching decision was made, forcing her to face the shadowed past. Bess Reihl is less than thrilled to be spending the summer at Rose Hill Farm with her large and intimidating grandmother, Bertha. It quickly becomes clear that she is there to work the farm--and work hard. The labor is made slightly more tolerable by the time it affords Bess to spend with the handsome hired hand, Billy Lapp. But he only has eyes for a flirty and curvaceous older girl. Lainey's and Bess's worlds are about to collide and the secrets that come to light will shock them both. Beautifully written, "The Search" is a skillfully woven story that takes readers through unexpected twists and turns on the long country road toward truth. Fans both old and new will find themselves immersed in this heartwarming--and surprising--tale of young love, forgiveness, and coming to grips with the past.

Additional notes: This is the third book in the Lancaster County Secrets series. You can read my review of the first book in this series here and my review of the second book here. This is a Christmas book that goes along with this series. There are no other books in this series.

My thoughts: This was, by far, the best book in this series, and I really don't know why Suzanne chose to stop at three books! I feel like there should be more in this series. That's how much I liked it. By far, some of the best Amish writing around.

This story vividly illustrates that people must value others more than themselves. As readers follow the hopes and struggles of the Baxter family, they explore key relationship themes as well as the larger theme of redemption.

Additional notes: This is the second book in the Redemption series. You can read my review of the first book here. There are five books in this series, and all have been released.

My thoughts: This book focuses on Ashley, although at the time of this writing, I have now read all five Redemption books and I feel like all, to a certain extent, focus on her. I'm not such a huge fan of that. Her story is definitely interesting though, and her little boy is a darling. I really like that this series reminds me of Parenthood in a way, in that the series is all about an extended family and their dynamics.

Even as a pregnant, unwed teen in 1974, Sandy Lincoln wanted to do the right thing. But when an ancient woman approached her in a convenience store with a mysterious prophecy and a warning, doing the right thing became even more unclear. She made the best choice she could. But now, thirty-four years later, another pregnant, unwed teen has come into her life, and Sandy's long-ago decision has come back to haunt her. The stakes rise quickly, leaving Sandy with split seconds to choose once more. But will her spur-of-the-moment decision bring life . . . or death?

My thoughts: This is a really intriguing book. I was gripped to the near-end, when I felt things became somewhat dicey and odd. I wasn't a huge fan of the big climax at the end, as I just felt it was somewhat lacking. But that's not to take away from the gripping story. If you like suspense stories, you'll want to read this one.

Twelve-year-old CeeCee Honeycutt is in trouble. For years, she has been the caretaker of her psychotic mother, Camille-the tiara-toting, lipstick-smeared laughingstock of an entire town-a woman trapped in her long-ago moment of glory as the 1951 Vidalia Onion Queen. But when Camille is hit by a truck and killed, CeeCee is left to fend for herself. To the rescue comes her previously unknown great-aunt, Tootie Caldwell.

In her vintage Packard convertible, Tootie whisks CeeCee away to Savannah's perfumed world of prosperity and Southern eccentricity, a world that seems to be run entirely by women. From the exotic Miz Thelma Rae Goodpepper, who bathes in her backyard bathtub and uses garden slugs as her secret weapons, to Tootie's all-knowing housekeeper, Oletta Jones, to Violene Hobbs, who entertains a local police officer in her canary-yellow peignoir, the women of Gaston Street keep CeeCee entertained and enthralled for an entire summer.

My thoughts: A co-worker lent me this book, and I am so glad she did! I had tears in my eyes at certain points of this book, and I was rooting for CeeCee to feel like she belonged. She did, at the end, and I promise, you will find yourself cheering for her. This story wove itself together nicely. I hope Beth writes more stories to share with everyone.

No comments: