Monday, September 10, 2012

State of Our House Address: A Very Special Edition!

This summer has been an incredibly interesting, challenging, and joy-filled season for us. Jason was offered a paid position at our local library, and he absolutely loves working there. In addition to that, he and I also work for a market research firm - he now works part-time there while I work in a salaried position. Job-wise, we both are very blessed!

Jason and I have been continuing on our journey to live our lives in a way that is true for us. This means we spend a lot of quality time together - Family Movie Nights, Family Game Nights, date nights, quiet dinners at home at the dining room table, reading stories together. We adore one another! Some parts of this summer were difficult for us to maintain this, but through August and through September thus far, we've made ourselves our number one priority.

We also strive to be fiscally responsible. If you've been reading along this year, Jason and I were throwing every spare bit of money we had at my last student loan. Since July 4, however, we have not paid anything except for the minimum required payment. While we would love to continue on our journey toward being debt free, at this time, we are throwing every spare bit of money we have at our savings account.

Because... we are expecting to welcome a new member of our family in March! We are super excited {and super nervous, haha!} at the new blessing God has bestowed upon us. So while we are expecting a new member, and all of the expenses that come along with welcoming a new member, we are saving our money. Once I am back to work, after welcoming our new member, we will resume our debt free journey.

This will be our first human child, and we have a lot of ideas for how we would like to raise our child, keeping an open mind and an open heart to God's ways and to ways that will end up just working best for us that we may not be able to see right now. So, as a journal for ourselves and to answer any questions you possibly may have, we wanted to share some of the things we are planning {knowing that when we plan, God laughs}:
  • I plan to breast feed. Prayerfully, I will have enough supply to feed our child. Jason is already prepped to encourage me and pray for me during the first few weeks as my body adjusts to this. I know it won't be easy at first, but I am pretty determined.
  • We plan to cloth diaper, although not absolutely 100% of the time. When we leave the house, we plan to take disposables with us and plop a disposable on our child. But at home, we will be a cloth diapering family.
  • We are not having a "baby shower." We are both not fans of showers. While my mom eventually talked us into having one for our wedding, we are both adamant that no shower be thrown for our child. My mom is actually completely on board, although she reminds me often that if we should change our minds, we need to only let her know.
  • We are not finding out the gender before delivery. My mom didn't find out with either of her children {and she had the option both times}. Jason and I both have no desire to know before hand since it just doesn't matter. Also, we are not a fan of blue and pink. Thankfully, we have been garage saling since July and have a ton of yellow, green and orange clothes already.
  • We have names picked out in either instance but will keep all of them to ourselves til our child makes his/her grand appearance. Then, once we see our child, we will officially name him/her.
  • We plan to give birth in a hospital. I was totally into the home birth idea, but Jason was not all about it. For my husband's comfort and ease of mind, we plan to deliver in a hospital.
  • Jason will be taking some time from the market research firm to spend time at home, but he will likely only take a week or so from the library. I will be taking eight weeks of maternity leave from my job and expect to return sometime in May. Jason will be severely limiting his hours at both jobs once our child arrives, and he will be the primary caregiver while I work.
I think that's about all the information we have nailed down for sure. This is an exciting time for us and we're both enjoying this season of new life growing inside me. It's really weird to think about! We are also both very, very thankful that the season of the first trimester is over. I'm starting to feel more like myself and am back to my usual antics. My attitude is positive, I'm not always tired... but eating is still a bit of a challenge. I'm doing the best I can, but I haven't been eating very much at all and it's gotten a little bit to a scary point. Jason has been absolutely wonderful and going to the store whenever to get me whatever sounds good in that moment {which usually doesn't sound good by the time he makes it home!!!}.

Anyway, our summer has been pretty eventful, but we're ready to relax into fall, eat caramel apples, attend some football games and take long, leisurely walks. We pray your fall is enjoyable, surprising and full of good food!

3 comments:

Carlye Jean Rankin said...

Congrats to you both! This is so exciting. If you need advice on breastfeeding I will tell you anything! Also, I will be praying for you and the pregnancy.

Instead of a baby shower, you could have a diaper party. Or in your case a cloth diaper party! It saved us lots of money especially since we received a lot of hand me down items - clothes, furniture, toys, ect.

I am truly happy for you both. Praise the Lord for this amazing gift!

cozycakescottage.com said...

Congratulations! What exciting news and also congratulations on the career news as well :) Hoping you feel back to yourself asap!

Jess and Jason said...

Thank you to both of you! Carlye, thank you so much for your prayers. You don't know how much it means to know this child is being prayed for by others. I am positive I will be reaching out to all my mama friends for advice on EVERYTHING! And for lots of prayer and encouragement. It's all a little overwhelming, but it helps to know I have friends like you who have been here and survived!