Saturday, September 22, 2012

Crafty Christmas: Felt Heart Bookmark


Christmas Countdown: Christmas is 13 weeks away!

I'm craft-illiterate. That may sound strange coming from someone who not only claims to, but actually handcrafts all of the holiday gifts she gives. It's not easy for me to do this in terms of my abilities and, sometimes, time, but it's a lesson in discipline, learning and creativity.

Sadly, the craft I'm going to share pictures of was handcrafted by my husband, Jason. I tried to make this myself and failed, but with the tutorial I'm sharing, I think anyone can make these. Just follow our directions, and you'll be good to go! I first found this craft on Pinterest but there is no detailed tutorial in English to accompany it (possibly the reason I could not figure it out on my own).

Here's what you need to make a felt heart bookmark:
  • Felt
  • Thread
  • Needle
  • A book, ruler or something in which you can measure a 90 degree angle
  • Pins
Directions:
  1. Cut out two smallish pieces of felt.
  2. Pin the two pieces of felt together; place the two pieces of felt against a book's corner.
  3. Using the book's corner as a guide, cut the pieces of felt so you're making the bottom part of the heart. Using the book's corner (or another instrument) will aid in creating a 90-degree angle (Jason says he just eyeballed this, but I eyeballed it and my heart was atrocious. It's totally up to you, but if you're craft-illiterate, you know to use a book... or you know to use a book and are not going to anyway, just like I did).
  4. Once the bottom part of the heart is cut out, put the book aside and while the two pieces of felt are still pinned together, cut out the top part of the heart.
  5. Following along the edge of the heart at the bottom, stitch up the sides of the heart right until you reach the heart's curve (we did not stitch that far, but we recommend it and will do it in the future). You can really use any kind of stitch you desire; we both just did the straight stitch.
And that's all there is to this craft! Jason, the lovely husband that he is, kept the heart bookmark I made for him, even though it's slightly deformed. This bookmark would be perfect for a gift any time of the year for the lady in your life or any book lover in your life. It's insanely cheap, quick and relatively simple to make.

No comments: