Friday, August 10, 2012

This Book Room: another week of books in a series!

Reuniting with their daughter's family, grandparents Clark and Marty's hope and faith are tested by a tragedy.

Additional notes: This is the fourth book in the Love Comes Softly series. You can read my review of the first book here, the second book here and the third book here. There are eight books in this series, and all have been released.

My thoughts: I was so happy when Marty and Clark got to visit Missie and her family! The story was so powerful and magical. I am so glad I am reading this series. It brings me so much joy.

Anne Marie Roche wants to find happiness again. At thirty-eight, her life's not what she'd expected--she's childless, a recent widow, alone. She owns a successful bookstore on Seattle's Blossom Street, but despite her accomplishments, there's a feeling of emptiness. On Valentine's Day, Anne Marie and several other widows get together to celebrate...what? Hope, possibility, the future. They each begin a list of twenty wishes, things they always wanted to do but never did. Anne Marie's list starts with: Find one good thing about life. It includes learning to knit, doing good for someone else, falling in love again. She begins to act on her wishes, and when she volunteers at a local school, an eight-year-old girl named Ellen enters her life. It's a relationship that becomes far more involving than Anne Marie intended. It also becomes far more important than she ever imagined. As Ellen helps Anne Marie complete her list of twenty wishes, they both learn that wishes can come true--but not necessarily in the way you expect.

Additional notes: This is technically the sixth book in the Blossom Street series, counting the Christmas book that is also part of this series. You can read my review of the first book here, the second book here, the third book here, the fourth book here and the fifth book here. There are currently seven books in this series and the eighth will be out sometime next year.

My thoughts: I so enjoyed this book. It even received 5 stars out of 5 stars from me on goodreads.com! I loved that Anne Marie found love where she didn't expect it - in the form of one very special little girl.

Harriet Kirk is certain that becoming Ladreville's schoolteacher is just what she needs—a chance to put the past behind her and give her younger siblings a brighter tomorrow. What she didn't count on was the presence of handsome former Texas Ranger Lawrence Wood—or the way he slowly but surely claims her fragile heart. But can Harriet and Lawrence ever truly put the past behind them in order to find happiness?

Additional notes: This is the third and final book in the Texas Dreams series.

My thoughts: It had been awhile since I had read books 1 and 2, which is probably a good thing. The books are similar in that boy meets girl, boy and girl fall in love, the end. It was nice to read this book after going so long without reading that exact same predictability from this author.

In her fifth high-octane thriller, bounty hunter Stephanie Plum sets out to find her missing uncle-- and along the way smacks slam-bang into: a dead body, a nasty bookie, her stun-gun-toting grandmother, two very sexy men, an angry little man who won't leave her apartment, and a Mafia wedding...

Jersey's favorite bounty hunter has never been better! With high hair, street smarts and plenty of attitude, Steph's sure to nail this case-- or risk life and spandex-clad limb trying...


Additional notes: This is the fifth book in the Stephanie Plum series. There are currently 18 books in this series, with the 19th due out later this year. There are also a few between-the-numbers available for this series. You can read my review of the first book here, the second book here, the third book here and the fourth book here.

My thoughts: This may be confusing. I really liked this book. I like this series. But these books are very much the same, and I'm getting a little tired of it. I will be taking a break from this series. I don't know if I'll come back to them - even though I love Stephanie Plum and Janet's witty writing. But this book was fun. See, I told you this may be confusing!

Sometimes less is more (more or less), which is certainly the case in this unique GARFIELD book featuring comics without dialogue—though an occasional sound effect might “SPLUT” in your face! Filled with silly sight gags (out with the catcalls, in with the pratfalls), Garfield Left Speechless provides visual fun for everyone in a colorful collection with universal appeal. Great for kids who can’t read yet. Even dogs will be drooling over it!

Additional notes: There are many, many Garfield books. You can read my reviews of many of them by clicking on the label "Garfield."

My thoughts: I am not always a fan of this special Garfield books. In fact, there were a couple I ended up not reading because I just didn't get it. But this book was flat-out hilarious. I can definitely see kids enjoying this book because you don't have to be a reader to "read" this book. Love!

No comments: