Saturday, July 28, 2012

This Book Room

Dave Ramsey knows what it's like to have it all. By age twenty-six, he had established a four-million-dollar real estate portfolio, only to lose it by age thirty. He has since rebuilt his financial life and, through his workshops and his New York Times business bestsellers Financial Peace and More than Enough, he has helped hundreds of thousands of people to understand the forces behind their financial distress and how to set things right-financially, emotionally, and spiritually. In this new edition of Financial Peace, Ramsey has updated his tactics and philosophy to show even more readers:  how to get out of debt and stay out the KISS rule of investing—"Keep It Simple, Stupid" and how to use the principle of contentment to guide financial decision making how the flow of money can revolutionize relationships. With practical and easy to follow methods and personal anecdotes, Financial Peace is the road map to personal control, financial security, a new, vital family dynamic, and lifetime peace.

My thoughts: Dave's books are very similar and much of the same, but if you're on a financial journey (and really, who isn't?), reading all of his books are super helpful in reminding me that there's a reason I'm on this journey. His books motivate and uplift me and keep me going. This book did not disappoint!

The star of The Bachelor, Dancing With The Stars, and special correspondent for Good Morning America shares her story with warmth, enthusiasm, and humor. Best known as the girl who was proposed to by The Bachelor star Jason Mesnick and then dumped on national TV six weeks later, Melissa Rycroft immediately turned her life around. Now married to her original love, Tye Strickland, and expecting her first child, Melissa shares her “Cinderella” story of overcoming heartbreak and finding happiness. Melissa Rycroft got her start on the CMT reality TV series Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders: Making the Team and was selected for the 2006-2007 NFL Season. That’s when her personal life first fell apart, and the man that she was in love with broke up with her. To help her get over her heartbreak and overcome depression, her friends nominated her to participate as a contestant on The Bachelor. When Mesnick revealed that he was breaking his engagement off with her because he chose the wrong girl, she garnered a lot of respect for handling the shock with such grace and decorum even though she was angry and heartbroken. Two days later, Melissa clinched a spot on Dancing With The Stars, placing third in the competition, and reconciled with her true love. In a “girlfriend to girlfriend” voice readers love, Melissa shares entertaining stories and valuable survival tips from a woman who has “been there and back!”

My thoughts: I could write pages and pages on this book and my thoughts. I would just say first off that I no longer watch any of the Bachelor shows. I stopped watching at the end of Jake's season. No one ever picked who I thought they should! But Jason Mesnick did during his season. He picked Melissa, who I thought he should pick! But then, they broke up six weeks later. So I guess what the heck do I know, right? Here's what I know: I knew Melissa was a star when I first saw her years before Bachelor on Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders. When I realized I knew of her when she appeared on the Bachelor, I was so excited! She is seriously the girl next door (or at least, that's her persona on TV, in this book, etc.). It was really fun to read her take on her life. I read this book in one afternoon. Super easy and light read! Perfect to take to the beach this summer.

Greg Heffley has always been in a hurry to grow up. But is getting older really all it’s cracked up to be? Greg suddenly finds himself dealing with the pressures of boy-girl parties, increased responsibilities, and even the awkward changes that come with getting older—all without his best friend, Rowley, at his side. Can Greg make it through on his own? Or will he have to face the “ugly truth”?

Additional notes: This is the fifth book in the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. You can read my review of the first book here, the second book here, the third book here and the fourth book here. There are six books currently in this series, and the seventh book will be released later this year.

My thoughts: I really enjoyed this book. I remember being in a time where I was growing up as a young lady in terms of physicality. It was really fun to read a boy's experience during that time of life!

Catherine O'Conner has a knack for writing Christmas letters for other people. When she meets psychologist Dr. Wynn Jeffries, she begins to fall in love, despite their opposing opinions on Christmas.

Additional notes: This is a holiday special book that is part of the Blossom Street series. You can read my review of the first book in the series here, the second book here and the third book here. There are nine books in this series currently.

My thoughts: I was really not wowed by this story at all. It just seemed super predictable and odd. I would've expected more from the one and only Blossom Street holiday novel. Oh well, I guess.

Deirdre Griffin has a great life; it’s just not her own. She’s the around-the-clock personal assistant to her charismatic, high-maintenance, New Age guru brother, Tag. As the family wallflower, her only worth seems to be as gatekeeper to Tag at his New England seaside compound. Then Deirdre’s sometime boyfriend informs her that he is marrying another woman, who just happens to be having the baby he told Deirdre he never wanted. While drowning her sorrows in Tag’s expensive vodka, Deirdre decides to use his massive online following to get herself voted on as a last-minute Dancing with the Stars replacement. It’ll get her back in shape, mentally and physically. It might even get her a life of her own. Deirdre’s fifteen minutes of fame have begun. Irresistible and offbeat, Wallflower in Bloom is an original and deeply satisfying story of having the courage to take a leap into the spotlight, no matter where you land.

My thoughts: Claire's writing is very much hit or miss for me. This book is three out of five stars for me. I liked it. I wasn't wowed, but I read it all the way through, so that's good! I enjoyed reading Deirdre's journey to be independent and live for herself. The DWTS bits were the best ones. If you watch that show ever, you'll like this book.

No comments: