Saturday, July 7, 2012

This Book Room

It’s summer vacation, the weather’s great, and all the kids are having fun outside. So where’s Greg Heffley? Inside his house, playing video games with the shades drawn.

Greg, a self-confessed "indoor person,” is living out his ultimate summer fantasy: no responsibilities and no rules. But Greg’s mom has a different vision for an ideal summer . . . one packed with outdoor activities and "family togetherness.”

Whose vision will win out? Or will a new addition to the Heffley family change everything?


Additional notes: This is the fourth book in the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. You can read my review of the first book here, the second book here and the third book here. There are currently six books in this series, and a seventh book is due out later this year.

My thoughts: Okay, I think this series is starting to grow on me. Greg is just a really self-absorbed person, and it does tend to get to me {even though I know well and good that I was exactly the same as a young lady}. This book, in particular, was very funny to me. I remember when my dad would get outraged that I would be in bed, still sleeping, and I would complain he was mowing the lawn because it would wake me up. Hahaha!
Before her mother died, Shelby promised three things: to listen to her father, to love as much as possible, and to live without restraint. Those Promises become harder to keep when Shelby's father joins the planning committee for the Princess Ball, an annual dance that ends with a ceremonial vow to live pure lives -- in other words, no "bad behavior," no breaking the rules, and definitely no sex.

Torn between Promises One and Three, Shelby makes a decision -- to exploit a loophole and lose her virginity before taking the vow. But somewhere between failed hookup attempts and helping her dad plan the ball, Shelby starts to understand what her mother really meant, what her father really needs, and who really has the right to her purity.

ALERT! SPOILERS!

My thoughts: This book really, really, really bothered me on so many levels, I cannot even tell you. Basically, Shelby ends up having sex with a guy she doesn't even care for, on any level, so she can have sex later with guys. But really, she could've just told her father she didn't want to participate in a ceremony that involves pledging her purity and skipped losing her virginity before she was really ready and before she was in love {and in an ideal world that lives mostly only in my head, before she was married}. I really do not recommend this book for anyone, especially for the young adults this book is geared toward. You're going to do something you don't even really want to do just because you have communication problems? That's ridiculous.

A "saintly" old candy-store owner is on the lam-and bounty hunter extraordinaire Stephanie Plum is on the case. As the body count rises, Stephanie finds herself dealing with dead drug dealers and slippery fugitives on the chase of her life. And with the help of eccentric friends and family, Steph must see to it that this case doesn't end up being her last...

Additional notes: This is the third book in the Stephanie Plum series. You can read my review of the first book here and the second book here. There are currently 18 books in this series with a few between-the-numbers books as well. The nineteenth book is expected to be released later this year.

My thoughts: This is my absolute favorite Stephanie Plum book so far! I loved it. The characters seriously crack me up. The plot was well developed and surprising, too. Can't wait to read the next one!

Clark and Marty Davis, the pioneer couple thrown together after the death of their first spouses, now preside over a growing number of youngsters in their prairie home. Together they face the joys and trials of life on a homesteader's farm. Will they be able to find a suitable teacher for the long-awaited new school? Is the "very learned" Eastern preacher going to be able to communicate with the simple people of the West? And how do Clark and Marty guide their lovely daughter, now grown to womanhood, in her choice of a partner?

Additional notes: This is the second book in the Love Comes Softly series. You can read my review of the first book here. There are eight books in this series and all have been released.

My thoughts: I am seriously enjoying this series, but this second book was a bit fast-paced. It spans the time from when Missie was about five or six to when Missie is about 16 or 17. So it covers a lot of years, but it was really interesting. At the time I am writing this review, I just started reading the third book. It is focused on Missie's story, so I'm pretty excited about that.

When Susannah Nelson turned eighteen, she said goodbye to her boyfriend, Jake--and never saw him again. She never saw her brother, Doug, again, either. He died unexpectedly that same year.
Now, at fifty, Susannah finds herself regretting the paths not taken. Long married, a mother and a teacher, she "should" be happy. But she feels there's something missing in her life. Not only that, she's balancing the demands of an aging mother and a temperamental twenty-year-old daughter. Her mother, Vivian, a recent widow, is having difficulty coping and living alone, so Susannah goes home to Colville, Washington. In returning to her parents' house, her girlhood friends and the garden she's always loved, she also returns to the past--and the choices she made back then. What she discovers is that things are not always as they once seemed. Some paths are dead ends. But some gardens remain beautiful....

Additional notes: This is the third book in the Blossom Street series. You can read my review of the first book here and the second book here. There are currently nine books in this series.

My thoughts: I love the Blossom Street series, but I have to tell you, I really did not like this book. In fact, I only kept reading it because it's part of this series and I'm hoping the other books in the series are as good as the first two. I would say the ending is super surprising and shocked me. It was something I didn't expect at ALL. But I don't like the premise of the book and Susannah was annoying.

No comments: