Saturday, June 23, 2012

This Book Room

Margot Matthews loves her job at the Cobbled Court Quilt Shop and the life and friendships she's made in New Bern, Connecticut; she just never thought she'd still be single on her fortieth birthday. And Margot's friend, Abigail, is trying to match-make even though Margot has all but given up on romance. When Philippa, a new female pastor arrives in town, truth be told not everyone is happy about it. Yet despite a rocky start, Philippa begins to settle in - finding ways to ease the townspeople's burdens, joining the quilting circle, and forging a fast friendship with Margot. When tragedy threatens to tear Margot's family apart, Philippa's friendship - and the help of the quilting sisterhood - will prove a saving grace. And while she untangles her feelings for another new arrival in town, Margot realizes that it is the surprising detours woven into life's fabric that provide its richest hues...

Additional notes: This the fourth and latest book in the Cobbled Court Quilt series. You can read my review of the first book here, the second book here and the third book here. So far as I know, this series is ongoing.

My thoughts: I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Marie is a fresh voice in fiction, and the friendships the ladies share throughout this entire series are uplifting. I anxiously await Marie's next installment of this series. If you enjoy chick lit or series about hand crafts {such as quilting, knitting, etc.}, you will absolutely enjoy this series.

Lydia Hoffman owns the shop on Blossom Street. In the year since it opened, A Good Yarn has thrived-and so has Lydia. A lot of that is due to Brad Goetz. But when Brad's ex-wife reappears, Lydia is suddenly afraid to trust her newfound happiness.Three women join Lydia's newest class. Elise Beaumont, retired and bitterly divorced, learns that her onetime husband is reentering her life. Bethanne Hamlin is facing the fallout from a much more recent divorce. And Courtney Pulanski is a depressed and overweight teenager, whose grandmother's idea of helping her is to drag her to seniors' swim sessions-and to the knitting class at A Good Yarn.

Additional notes: This is the second book in the Blossom Street series. You can read my review of the first book here. There are currently nine books in this series {including a Christmas book}.

My thoughts: This book was a fantastic sequel to the first book in this series. I loved the new characters and learning their stories. I didn't so much enjoy the story line with Lydia and Brad, but there was so little of that particular story line that my displeasure at it didn't detract from my pleasure from reading the book. As with the Cobbled Court Quilt series, if you enjoy chick lit or series about hand crafts, you'll also enjoy this series.

"Love Comes Softly" introduced the characters of Marty and Clark Davis, whose tragic circumstances brought them to a "marriage of convenience" on the frontier prairies during the mid 1800s. The story of how Clark's patient, caring love mirrored that of the heavenly Father, drawing Marty to faith and to love, has captured the hearts and imaginations of over one million readers on Book One alone.

Additional notes: This is the first book in the Love Comes Softly series. There are eight books in this series and all have been released.

My thoughts: I am so glad I finally decided to read this book. My mother raves about the Hallmark movies, and while I've heard that the books are nothing like the movies and I've picked up this book before and quickly discarded it, this book was such fun to read. I really enjoyed being able to easily picture the surroundings and what the family did each day. If you like historical or Christian fiction, you will love this series. But if you've already watched the movies, you may want to keep an incredibly open mind. I don't know in what way the books differ from the movies, as I have not seen the movies, but as mentioned earlier, they're apparently quite different from each other.

In the midst of a chaotic midnight assembly, Sunshine is forced outside into the darkness. Holding a scrap of paper scrawled with a stranger's name and address, Sunny grasps the hands of her three small children and begins her escape.

Liesel Albright has dreamed of starting a family. She never bargained on inheriting one already in progress…or one so deeply damaged. When nineteen-year-old Sunshine appears on the Albrights' doorstep claiming Liesel's husband, Chris, is her father, all they can think to offer is temporary shelter. The next day, they're stunned by the news that the Family of Superior Bliss, led by a charismatic zealot, has committed mass suicide. Sunny and her children haven't just left the compound—they've been left behind.

Now, instead of a baby of her own, Liesel must play mother to the four survivors, while Chris retreats into guilt and denial. For Sunny, however, a lifetime of teachings is not easily unlearned. No matter how hard she tries to forget, an ominous catechism echoes in her mind, urging her to finish what the Family started.

My thoughts: Megan's writing quickly drew me in and kept me captured. I read this book in one evening. I could not put it down. If you're particularly interested in reading books about cults, this book will intrigue you. It certainly intrigued me!

Let’s face it: Greg Heffley will never change his wimpy ways. Somebody just needs to explain that to Greg’s father. You see, Frank Heffley

Additional notes: This is the third book in the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. There are currently six books in the series, and the seventh book is coming out later this year. You can read my review of the first book here and the second book here.

My thoughts: I find myself enjoying this series more and more... mainly due to the cartoons! As I've mentioned before, just please beware for minors reading this book as the series does not advocate honesty and good morals. But to read this book purely for entertainment sake as an adult is enjoyable.

No comments: