Saturday, May 26, 2012

This Book Room

Two months after Elizabeth Holland's dramatic homecoming, Manhattan eagerly awaits her return to the pinnacle of society. When Elizabeth refuses to rejoin her sister Diana's side, however, those watching New York's favorite family begin to suspect that all is not as it seems behind the stately doors of No. 17 Gramercy Park South. Farther uptown, Henry and Penelope Schoonmaker are the city's most celebrated couple. But despite the glittering diamond ring on Penelope's finger, the newlyweds share little more than scorn for each other. And while the newspapers call Penelope's social-climbing best friend, Carolina Broad, an heiress, her fortune--and her fame--are anything but secure, especially now that one of society's darlings is slipping tales to the eager press. In this next thrilling installment of Anna Godbersen's bestselling Luxe series, Manhattan's most envied residents appear to have everything they desire: Wealth. Beauty. Happiness. But sometimes the most practiced smiles hide the most scandalous secrets. . . .

Additional notes: This is the third book in the Luxe series. There are four books in this series, and all have been released. You can read my review of the first book here and my review of the second book here.

My thoughts: This series is surprising and horrendous. It's so scandalous! And I really enjoyed it. A fun series for young adults and adults alike.

Have you ever felt caught between the tension of a day job and a dream job? That gap between what you have to do and what you'd love to do?

I have.

At first I thought I was the only one who felt that way, but then I started to talk to people and realized we're becoming the "I'm, but" generation. When we talk about what we do for a living we inevitably say, "I'm a teacher, but I want to be an artist." "I'm a CPA, but I'd love to start my own business."

"I'm a _____, but I want to be a ______."

All too often, we hear that dreaming big means you quit your day job, sell everything you own, and move to Guam. But what if there were a different way?

What if you could blow up your dream without blowing up your life?

What if you could go for broke without going broke?

What if you could start today?

What if you already have everything you need to begin?

From figuring out what your dream is to quitting in a way that exponentially increases your chance of success, Quitter is full of inspiring stories and actionable advice. This book is based on 12 years of cubicle living and my true story of cultivating a dream job that changed my life and the world in the process.

It's time to close the gap between your day job and your dream job.

It's time to be a Quitter.


My thoughts: I first heard of Jon Acuff when we attended a Dave Ramsey Total Money Makeover event. I knew I just had to read his books. I cannot encourage you enough to read this book. I actually have no plans whatsoever to turn this blog into a full-time job, nor do I have any plans ever to turn all my side businesses into full-time jobs. But this book contains more than just wisdom on how to make your dream job a reality. The advice is practical for everyday living. I appreciated the insights shared in this book and would highly recommend it to everyone.

It’s been thirty-five weeks since twin sisters Harmony and Melody went their separate ways. And now their story has become irresistible: twins separated at birth, each due to deliver twins…on the same day! Married to Ram and living in Goodside, Harmony spends her time trying to fit back into the community she once believed in. But she can’t forget about Jondoe, the guy she fell for under the strangest of circumstances. To her adoring fans, Melody has achieved everything: a major contract and a coupling with the hottest bump prospect around. But this image is costing her the one guy she really wants. The girls’ every move is analyzed by millions of fans eagerly counting down to “Double Double Due Date.” They’re two of the most powerful teen girls on the planet, and they could do only one thing to make them even more famous: Tell the truth.

Additional notes: This is the second and what I've heard to be the final book in the Bumped series. You can read my review of the first book here.

My thoughts: This series is so unique and intriguing. It's set in the future, but the nice thing is that the series is strangely light-hearted and just fun to read. This book wrapped up the story lines well and in a surprising way, too. The author definitely kept me guessing.

No comments: