Saturday, May 12, 2012

Saving the Moola: ask and you might receive

It can be hard to ask for help. We know, we've been there. We've ate a lot of Ramen noodles and gone without essential items.

We've come a long way in our journey, but it seems this year, we've really embraced the notion of asking for help. We haven't always gained the answer we desired, but once you put out the idea that you're willing to take anything and everything, you'll be amazed at the blessings that come your way.

I asked for a relative to save unused coupons from their newspaper for me. I was able to use some of those coupons to get free or nearly free items, and I donated to rest of the coupons to Coupon2Give for our troops.

I let everyone know that we could use any and all canning jars. My mum and dad found a ton of jars in their basement and happily delivered them to me.

I let my mum know that anything she came across in that basement of hers that she didn't want, I could have a use for it. When she came over to visit recently, she brought several candles with her. When I asked why she didn't want them, she said she didn't like their scents! We're not so picky about candle scents - we just like to keep one burning in the living room because it makes it feel homey. And truth be told - we've enjoyed all of the scents thus far!

A relative let me know they had asparagus just growing in their yard, and I was happy to come take whatever I wanted. Jason and I picked a few pounds and prepared them for the freezer for meals for the future.

I asked for something recently and I was told no. This was disappointing. I found myself asking, "Why?" in my head. But then I remembered all the times I was blessed with more than I could have ever imagined. I remember all the blessings I have - a roof over my head, food in my belly, clean water to drink. And I remember that when I'm told no, it increases my odds of getting yes next time, and I won't ever know the answer until I ask the question. I also remember, even though it can be hard, that there might be a reason for that "no" that I'm not yet in the know about. Maybe that "no" is actually a blessing in disguise.

When you let others know that you're open to their cast offs, that you're open to new ideas, that you're open to new ways of living life, you'll truly be amazed at what happens. You might discover that people you thought were in your corner are really not. You might discover a new relationship that blossoms over a shared love of a hobby. You might discover first hand that one man's junk is another man's treasure. You might discover a friend who has a wealth of knowledge he or she is willing to share.

And the next time you spring clean or organize and find items that you deem your own junk, put out feelers via email, in person or Facebook, letting others know you have items you don't need or want. If you find a friend is undergoing a project you have knowledge about, share that knowledge freely and happily. The joy isn't just in receiving, it's also in giving.

1 comment:

cozycakescottage.com said...

What a nice reminder--thanks for sharing that. Sometimes it can be so difficult to get the courage to "ask" and yet, like you said, even the answer no can be a blessing. It also reminds me that what I'm ready to be rid of may be just what a friend is looking for. :)