Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Homemade: Hand Soap

There are a lot of different ways to make homemade liquid hand soap if you don't prefer using a bar. I don't mind using a bar, but liquid hand soap is a great item to have on hand. We use liquid hand soap in our master bathroom and our kitchen and sometimes in our guest bathroom as well.

This homemade solution originally came from Savvy Housekeeping. This is what I would say to you - if you are looking for a homemade hand soap that is exactly like what you buy at the store, you should skip this solution. Personally, I don't really care if it looks or feels differently. The goal is to wash my hands, not to have an experience some corporation decided I should have, thus I believe I should as well.

If you want the same exact experience as Savvy Housekeeping originally had, use Yardley soap in particular. I used a nice bar I had around the house that I had purchased a long time ago. I'm okay with how it came out, but I will likely use Yardley in the future as Yardley is cheaper than the fancy bar I used, plus I can get Yardley through amazon.com for free using gift cards I earned through SwagBucks.

So if you're into trying new things and are open to new experiences, definitely try this solution. It's super quick and easy and very easy on the wallet. It is a bit watery, but it does lather up nicely and my hands feel clean after using it. The more I use it, the more I like it.


Here's what you need to make homemade hand soap:
  • 1 cup soap flakes
  • 10 cups of water
  • 1 Tbsp. glycerin
Here's how you make it:
  1. Measure 10 cups of water into a large pot.
  2. Add in 1 cup of grated soap flakes. One bar of soap makes about two cups; store the other cup in a bowl for future use.
  3. Add 1 Tbsp. of glycerin.
  4. On about medium heat, heat the mixture until the soap is dissolved.
  5. Remove the pot from the burner and let the mixture completely cool.
  6. Funnel the mixture into a container to store. I used three quart jars, and they were completely full.

No comments: