Template

Saturday, March 3, 2012

This Book Room: a week of really fun + great reads

Cupid's arrow is making its way to Tallulah Falls, Oregon, bringing lots of business to Marcy Singer's embroidery specialty shop-like the bride who wants her mother's dress embellished with jewels. But someone wants to squash all the romance-and in this case they'll go as far as murder...

Additional notes: This is the third book in the Embroidery Mystery series. You can read my review of the first book here and the second book here.

My thoughts: I really liked this book in that it kept me somewhat guessing until very near to the end. I also really enjoy Marcy as a character, although I have to say the love triangle in the book is very annoying and frustrating. But overall, this series is enjoyable, and I will definitely keep reading it.

Written in partnership with Sherwood Pictures' upcoming film, COURAGEOUS, in The Resolution for Women, popular speaker and author Priscilla Shirer challenges all women to be intentional about embracing and thriving in God. The Resolution for Women inspires women with intentional, spirit-filled living from three unique angles. Section one, entitled, "This Is Who I Am," helps a woman define herself as "authentically me, purposefully feminine, surprisingly satisfied, and faithfully His." Section two, "This Is What I Have," invites her to value "my best, my blessing, my honor, and my heart." And Section three, "This Is What Matters To Me," focuses on joyfully honoring God as a wife, mother, and family member while resolving to live with the grace that leaves a godly legacy. The Resolution for Women is designed to inspire a revolution.

My thoughts: This book is thought provoking, eye opening and something that I need to read often. I felt inspired, encouraged and challenged to live up to the resolutions which are very in keeping with God's Word and desires for a woman. This book is a must-read, no matter if you are single, married, a parent, etc.

Crystal Paine, who has helped busy women everywhere take control of their finances, presents her most effective strategies designed for families of all sizes and income levels. With hundreds of inspiring “why didn’t I think of that?” TIPS, plus WORKSHEETS, Paine breaks down your goals into easy, manageable steps.

My thoughts: I had to read this book since Money Saving Mom (aka Crystal) was the first blog/website I had found that was truly encouraging of women, in particular, to be frugal. I like her down-to-earth personality and how encouraging she is. I even learned a few new tips from her book that I had never heard before. One was that if you're not a newspaper subscriber (which I am not because we don't read the paper and to get a subscription just for coupons seems odd), visit Starbucks or McDonald's on Sunday and scoop up papers that are left behind at tables that were purchased by other customers. Genius!

When Katie Lapp stumbles upon a satin infant gown in the dusty leather trunk of her parents' attic, she knows it holds a story she must discover. Why else would her Amish mother, a plain and simple woman who embraces the Old Order laws, hide the beautiful baby dress in the attic?

Additional notes: This is the first book in the Heritage of Lancaster series. There are three books in this series, and all three have been released.

My thoughts: While watching Courageous at home with my husband, a trailer for a movie called The Shunning was on. I was instantly interested, and when I found there was a book, I had to read it. What was surprising was that it was written by none other than Beverly Lewis, whom most hail as the queen of Amish fiction. I had never read her before just because she's so popular and I wanted to get to know other authors, but I really enjoyed this book. And I can't wait to see the movie!

Ada has loved deeply and lost dearly. But protecting her heart could mean missing the love of a lifetime. Ada Wentworth may be young, but she's seen enough of life to know she can only rely on herself. Everyone including God it seems, has let her down. Having lost her family, her fiance, and her fortune, Ada journeys from Boston to Hickory Ridge, Tennessee, to take a position as a lady's companion. Though initially charmed by the pretty little Southern town tucked into the foothills of the great Smokies, Ada plans to stay only until she can earn enough to establish a millinery shop. Her employer, Wyatt Caldwell, the local lumber mill owner, is easily the kindest, most attractive man Ada has met in Hickory Ridge. He believes Providence has brought her to town and into his life. But how, after so many betrayals, can she ever trust again? Besides, Wyatt has a dream of his own. A dream that will one day take him far from Hickory Ridge. As the South struggles to heal in the aftermath of the Civil War, one woman must let go of her painful past in order to embrace God's plans for her. Can she trust Him, and Wyatt, with her future and her heart?

Additional notes: This is the first book in the Hickory Ridge Romance series. There are currently two books in this series, and so far as I know, this series is ongoing.

My thoughts: I had signed up to review the second book, but at the time I signed up, I didn't realize the second book was a second book. So when I realized that, I had to get the first book from the library! This is such a weird thing to note, but the one thing that kept throwing me off in this book is that the Ada I pictured in my head looked nothing like the Ada on the front cover. Ha! But I thought this book was fun to read and set in an interesting time period - right after the Civil War.

No comments: