Thursday, March 15, 2012

In the Kitchen with Jason: Cheesy Baked Chicken Enchiladas

When we first received the Dollars to Donuts cookbook, the first recipe I noticed in it was this one. Found on page 8, with a picture that makes one want to lick the page, I am surprised that it took us so long to make it.
The cheesier the better, trust me.
Ingredients
  • 2 1/4 cups shredded chicken (precooked)
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 cups salsa
  • 1 Tbsp lime juice
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
  • 8 eight-inch tortillas
  • 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
Directions
  • Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
  • Mix the chicken, onion, 1/2 cup salsa, lime juice, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl.
  • Spread 1/2 cup of the salsa over the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish.
  • One at a time, take 1/8 of the chicken mixture and spread it in a line down the middle of a tortilla.
  • Wrap the tortilla up and place it seam side down in the baking dish.
  • Repeat until all tortillas are filled and in the baking dish.
  • Top with the remaining salsa, and then top the salsa with the cheese.
  • Bake for about 20 minutes.
  • Serve warm.
Did I mention that it is simple? Well, I did now. I will mention that if you use spicy salsa, you will have spicy enchiladas so you should be more careful than we were when purchasing salsa. I didn't mind it, but my lovely wife is slightly a wimp when it comes to spicy foods.

Please enjoy!

-Chef Jason

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Sounds delish! I like to cook large quantities of chicken in the crockpot then shred, then freeze. I'm always looking for recipes to use the chicken in. This looks like a nice quick homemade dinner.

Carlye Jean Rankin said...

That looks delicious! I will definitely be trying this one out!