Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Homemade: Mod Podge

This year, I've been crafting a lot more, and I'm loving it! We have a crafting budget each month that we use to get supplies we need. For Jason, that's sewing and cross-stitch supplies, and for me, that's anything from felt to paint to beads.

We use coupons on most, if not all, items we purchase from Joann's, but even then, money is money and we try to save where we can. Mod Podge is about $8 a bottle, without a coupon. When I found what out what Mod Podge really was, I knew I would never buy a bottle.

Mod Podge = equal parts water + glue

If that doesn't explain it enough for ya, here's what you need to make this homemade solution:
  • Water
  • Glue
Here's how you make homemade mod podge:
  1. Squeeze glue into a container.
  2. Fill glue bottle with water; empty glue bottle of water into same container as the glue.
  3. Add a bit more water (like a tablespoon or so).
  4. Mix all together.
  5. Use as you would Mod Podge.

In the summer, office supply stores and big box stores run crazy good deals on glue. I picked up a few bottles for pennies last summer and plan to do that again this summer now that I have an actual need of it (and am now running low).

This homemade solution works wonders. I made six beautiful bookprint ornaments recently using homemade Mod Podge. Look how pretty!

No comments: