Saturday, February 4, 2012

This Book Room

Nursery magic is very strange and wonderful, and only those playthings that are old and wise and experienced like the Skin Horse understand all about it. Like the Skin Horse, Margery Williams understood how toys--and people--become real through the wisdom and experience of love. This reissue of a favorite classic, with the original story and illustrations as they first appeared in 1922, will work its magic for all who read it.

My thoughts: I really liked this book, but I really felt this book was sort of scary for little ones (and even for me). I would highly recommend screening the books you read to your little ones before you actually read the book to them, if they are of an age where they understand you. Possibly if your little one is one year old or younger, they wouldn't comprehend what you're anyway - in that case, read on!

In this second book from the Duggars, they focus on the principles that equip them to face life's challenges—drawing from their most recent challenge with the 3-month premature birth of their newest child, Josie. They also share the new challenges their older children are facing as they prepare for adult life. Central to the book is a section on the principles that the Duggars have consistently taught their children. These simply worded principles are basic to the Duggar family and are shared in a way that other parents can incorporate in their own homes. A special chapter on homeschooling gives valuable information to parents who are considering this route or are already invested in it. The world continues to be amazed by their nineteen well-groomed, well-behaved, well-schooled children and their home life, which focuses on family, financial responsibility, fun—and must importantly, faith. The Duggars show how parents can succeed whether they’re rearing a single child or several.
My thoughts: I have a not-so-secret obsession with the Duggars. Why? They love God. They really, really love God. I admire this family for a myriad of reasons, and if you read this book, you'll come away admiring them, too. Perhaps then, you'll harbor a not-so-secret obsession of your own, too.

Three Amish women yearn for the perfect wedding.
"A Perfect Plan" by Beth Wiseman
Priscilla King has been planning to marry Chester Lapp since she was sixteen years old, and when Chester proposes on Priscilla's nineteenth birthday, wedding plans begin immediately. What wasn't planned was all the problems the couple encounters as their big day approaches. A house disaster, a ruined wedding dress, and a sick attendant all make the couple wonder if God's sending them signs to call things off.

"The Perfect Match" by Kathleen Fuller
Naomi Fisher has had great success at matchmaking her family members and friends. Now with her sister's wedding right around the corner, Naomi wonders why she's able to find husbands for her friends and family, but not one for herself.

"The Perfect Secret" by Kelly Long
Rose Bender has recently become engaged to handsome but somber Luke Raber. She agrees out of a sense of duty and a willingness to settle for solid friendship as a basis for the engagement. But as she watches her friend's excitement over her soon-to-be wedding, Rose wonders if there shouldn't be more to her relationship with Luke. She begins to examine Luke and his life more closely and is amazed when she stumbles upon an exciting, secret side of him that engages her mind and heart.
My thoughts: There have been several Amish books like this released, and I adore them all. These are fun, light-hearted stories, and I found myself devouring this book. If you like Amish fiction, you'll absolutely enjoy this book.

Now with this striking new adult novel from author and creator Francine Pascal, millions of devoted fans can finally return to the idyllic Sweet Valley, home of the phenomenally successful book series and franchise. Iconic and beloved identical twins Jessica and Elizabeth Wakefield are back and all grown up, dealing with the complicated adult world of love, careers, betrayal, and sisterhood.

Additional notes: Francine Pascal created the Sweet Valley empire. The Sweet Valley series' include Sweet Valley Twins, Sweet Valley High, Sweet Valley University, and possibly, I've missed a couple! So far as I know, this book was a one-time deal, but you can find the series' books at your local used bookstore by the dozen.

My thoughts: I had picked up this book once, then returned it to the library because I felt "eh" about it. I found myself with spare reading time with not a whole lot to read (that situation has changed now that I'm reviewing books!), so I borrowed this book again. I'm glad I read it, but it was all just sort of sad. Real and true-to-life, I felt, in a sense but just sad. But then again, adult life, at times, can just be sad.

In 1914, Joey, a beautiful bay-red foal with a distinctive cross on his nose, is sold to the army and thrust into the midst of the war on the Western Front. With his officer, he charges toward the enemy, witnessing the horror of the battles in France. But even in the desolation of the trenches, Joey's courage touches the soldiers around him and he is able to find warmth and hope. But his heart aches for Albert, the farmer's son he left behind. Will he ever see his true master again?

My thoughts: I. loved. this. book. This is a must read. I loved that it was told from the horse's perspective, and I loved how the story was told. I can't wait to see the movie!

No comments: