Saturday, February 4, 2012

Saving the Moola: January in Review

As our new budget kicked off in January, we found ourselves really embracing the new budget and enjoying it and ourselves. Some key features of our budget for 2012 that we've been loving include:
  • An in-depth savings plan
  • Money for crafting, entertaining and clothing each month
You can read about our in-depth savings plan here. We have made serious headway on our goals in January, and I can't believe how quickly our different savings accounts are growing.

Each month, we put a set amount of money in envelopes for crafting, entertainment and clothing. This is something we've never done before this year. Doing this has helped our budget a great deal. When one of us is in need of a clothing item or we want to go out to dinner, we don't have to worry about shifting money around or feeling like we can't afford it. Instead, we just go to our envelopes and take money from there. This is by far one of the best budget decisions we've made for 2012.

Recently, I had decided that I wanted to buy something specific for our household. The item costs about $200 including tax, and I was sad because there was no way to pay for the item, unless we pulled money from what could have been saved. Because I never want to detract from our savings, I had to brainstorm to come up with ways to save money that wouldn't affect our current budget, as that is a serious goal of ours in 2012: to maintain our budget no matter what.

I've brainstormed a lot of ideas, and I'm so happy to say I already have $35 saved in an envelope for the item! I'm excited to see how much I can sock away in February. I had set a goal of having all the money by the end of October, but I think I'm going to be able to have the money even sooner. I haven't told Jason what the item is yet because I want to surprise him with it, so I can't wait until I can!

In January, we also discussed a lot of new ways to keep us on track to maintain our budget. We've begun implementing many of these strategies already in February and are loving them! We'll be sharing many of these throughout February, so we hope you keep checking back in to see what we're up to.

No comments: