Saturday, January 21, 2012

This Book Room

Every wife who desires a deeper, more meaningful relationship with her husband is sure to appreciate Stormie's candor and encouragement in this practical book. By focusing on 30 different areas, women can cover every aspect of their husband's lives with prayer, including security in work and finances; health and physical protection; spiritual and emotional strength; fears and emotions; faith and the future; sexuality and communication; and fatherhood, leadership and decision-making.

My thoughts: I really enjoyed this book. There were times when I felt like the author assumes husbands are not the best people, and this made the chapters hard to relate to at times, but seeing the way Jason reacted to knowing I was setting aside specific time to pray for him and I was putting effort into it - it was amazing. He loved it, I loved it. A must-read book.

Craig Littleton's decision to end his marriage would shock his wife, Denise . . . if she knew what he was up to. When an accident lands Craig in the ICU, with fuzzy memories of his own life and plans, Denise rushes to his side, ready to care for him. They embark on a quest to help Craig remember who he is and, in the process, they discover dark secrets. An affair? An emptied bank account? A hidden identity? An illegitimate child? But what will she do when she realizes he's not the man she thought he was? Is this trauma a blessing in disguise, a chance for a fresh start? Or will his secrets destroy the life they built together?

My thoughts: This book reminded me a lot of Karen Kingsbury's 9/11 series, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. A good fiction read!

Thirteen-year-old Kyra has grown up in an isolated community without questioning the fact that her father has three wives and she has twenty brothers and sisters, with two more on the way. That is, without questioning them much---if you don’t count her secret visits to the Mobile Library on Wheels to read forbidden books, or her meetings with Joshua, the boy she hopes to choose for herself instead of having a man chosen for her. But when the Prophet decrees that she must marry her sixty-year-old uncle---who already has six wives---Kyra must make a desperate choice in the face of violence and her own fears of losing her family forever.

My thoughts: This book is one I could not easily put down. I was instantly drawn into the story, and once I reached a certain point, I had to finish it. A very good fiction read and one that makes me very grateful for my life. This book is appropriate for teens and up.

It has always been Naomi Fontaine’s dream to practice small-town medicine—an ambition that brought her to Cypress Hollow, the charming, tight-knit community her late friend, knitting guru Eliza Carpenter, loved so well. But no matter how hard she tries, Naomi can’t seem to fit in here. Then rugged Rig Keller moves in to take over half of Naomi’s medical practice, and instantly charms everyone in town . . . including Naomi. Rig saw what a broken relationship did to his brother, and has no interest whatsoever in getting serious. But the temptation to play doctor with his new partner is just too strong to resist. Any chance they might have of being truly knit together by love, however, depends entirely on what secrets they are willing to reveal . . . and on Rig’s willingness to risk his heart and Naomi’s desire to open hers completely.

Additional notes: This is the third book of the Cypress Hollow series. You can read my review of the second book here. As far as I know, this series is ongoing.

My thoughts: These books remind me a bit of Lori Wilde's Twilight, Texas series in the fact that there's quite a bit of smut. If that's not your thing in any sense (meaning: if you can't enjoy the story in spite of the smut), skip this series. But if you can enjoy the story anyway, I really enjoy this series, and I enjoyed this book.

In 1826, Ann Miller travels to Pittsburgh with her widowed father and two young sisters, only to find that a mysterious man has pursued them all the way from Ohio. Is Ann's father just a circuit minister, or is he hiding something that may endanger them all? Will Hanby indentures with a Pittsburgh saddler maker, only to discover that his master is a cold-hearted tyrant. After years of abuse, Will becomes a prisoner of his own mind. But then lovely Ann Miller comes to stay next door and her compassion lights a long-dark part of Will's soul. His renewed courage puts his life in jeopardy as he begins to assist fugitive slaves. Will's murderous master and Ann's questions about her family may keep both of them bound in the shadows forever. Or will they find freedom-together?

Additional notes: This is the first book in the Saddler's Legacy series. The second book is coming out soon, and I sure hope this series is ongoing! (In fact, I just received the second book to review in the mail, so look for an upcoming post about that very soon!).

My thoughts: This reminded me a bit of Ann Shorey's Beldon Grove series, in the fact that this was set in the 1800s and isn't so much about the romance, really, as it is about the adventure. And I loved this book. The romance is very much in the background and not a big part of the story, and I loved that. The adventure aspect of this story was right on and very exciting.

No comments: