Saturday, January 14, 2012

This Book Room: some kids' books and other books I love!

Luellen O'Connell is stunned and confused when her husband of just one month tells her he is leaving—and that he has another wife. Deeply wounded by this betrayal, Luellen decides to follow the dream she had set aside of obtaining a teaching degree. But her wayward husband left something behind when he abandoned her. Can Luellen overcome the odds and achieve her dream? Can she hide her secret, or will it destroy her dreams forever? A moving story of tenacity and perseverance in the face of opposition, The Dawn of a Dream will inspire readers to discover and follow their own dreams.

Additional notes: This is the third book in the Beldon Grove series. You can read my review of the first book here and my review of the second book here.

My thoughts: I really enjoyed this series and sincerely hope it will continue, but I'm not sure if the author is planning on that. There's a bit of a romance plot mixed in, but I love that this series is more about an internal struggle with the character that isn't related to romance. Plus, who doesn't love a novel set in the mid 1800s? Read this series - I promise you'll enjoy it.

Newly reissued with the classic cover design, Beatrix Potter's four stories featuring Peter Rabbit are brought together in one volume, so that Peter's escapades can be read as a continuous saga. The Tale of Peter Rabbit, The Tale of Benjamin Bunny, The Tale of the Flopsy Bunnies and The Tale of Mr. Tod are all included with complete text and original art. From Peter's mischievous childhood in Mr. McGregor's garden to the time he rescues a family from Tommy Brock's clutches, Peter Rabbit's story is one children will want to hear again and again.

My thoughts: The first time I really had books as a child was when I was reading chapter books (I kind of skipped from learning how to read to reading chapter books), so I missed out on all the fun children's books as a child. I guess I'm kind of making up for that now, but I would say that I'm not sure this book is really appropriate for very little ones, considering a bunny is baked into a pie! (In all fairness of honesty, I have to say this really disturbed me)

A heartwarming collection of true stories that will inspire, entertain, and get everyone into the spirit of Christmas. At Christmastime, it’s hard not to get caught up in the shopping, the decorating, the party planning and the family drama—and too we often to lose sight of the true meaning of the season. But sometimes, through God’s grace or a simple twist of fate, we’re able to step back and understand what the holiday is truly about. The Spirit of Christmas is an inspiring collection of true stories from real-life people who have experienced such moments where the meaning of the season becomes clear and touches their hearts. A man mailing gifts at the post office witnesses a moving scene that changes his life forever. An unhappy couple are drifting further apart…until a special Christmas gift allows them to renew their love and mend their fractured marriage. And a father tries to keep the spirit of Christmas alive for his son with a grand gesture--a gesture that will be remembered by his family and many others for years to come. Filled with magic, wonder and deep meaning, it’s impossible for these stories not to touch your heart—and fill you with The Spirit of Christmas.

My thoughts: I was skeptical that I would enjoy this book, as even though I want to enjoy Debbie Macomber books, I just don't (the foreword was written by her). But I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was a perfect read right before the holidays.

More than sixty years ago, Christopher Robin took his friend Edward Bear—who came to be known to millions as Winnie-the-Pooh—by one chubby paw and brought him unceremoniously downstairs. Pooh has endured, still slightly rotund, a Bear of Very Little Brain, but very generous of heart: the immortal creation of A. A. Milne, who wrote this book for his only son, Christopher Robin, and Ernest H. Shepard, who lovingly gave Pooh and his companions shape. The adventures of Pooh and Piglet, Owl, Tigger, and the ever doleful Eeyore, are timeless treasures of childhood. These tales still speak to all of us with the freshness that distinguishes true storytelling.

My thoughts: I'm slightly obsessed with Winnie the Pooh. It is my sincere desire to own and watch all of the movies every day. In fact, Jason and I both often break out into the Winnie the Pooh song just randomly. This book did not disappoint. A must-have for young and old alike.

System alert: Inbox full of scandal, romance, and office hilarity!Meet Holly Denham. It's her first day as a receptionist at a London investment bank and inexperienced Holly is struggling. How's a working girl supposed to have a love life with a demanding job, crazy friends, a dysfunctional family, and gossipy colleagues? Not to mention that Holly's been keeping a secret from everyone - and the past is about to catch up with her. An affair with a sexy VP heats things up at the office, but when Holly's first flame (who, she thinks, left her in the lurch) gets a job at the same company, complications abound and Holly's inbox becomes a daily source of drama, laughter and scandal. Repeatedly compared to Bridget Jones' Diary, www.hollysinbox.com became a website phenomenon, with thousands of daily visitors from all over the world. This novel tells Holly's story in full, and also includes exclusive extra material not available on the site.

My thoughts: I cannot say enough things about this book: funny, cute, witty, whimsical. I just loved it. I had read other books by Meg Cabot that were set in an email format and I thoroughly enjoyed those as well. It feels naughty to read this book (on account of the fact it is set in an email format and you feel like you're reading something you shouldn't). Very cute read.

No comments: