Thursday, January 19, 2012

In the Kitchen With Jason: Roasted Roots

The name may leave something to be desired but this dish is fantastically yummy. Jess says that it is a good summer dish but I think it would work at any time of the year, and since we made it in January and it worked just fine, her analysis may be a bit off. Or I may just be a silly boy who likes to eat, you never know.


Ingredients
  • 3 1/2 cups chopped carrots (about 2 pounds un-peeled and un-chopped)
  • 3 cups chopped parsnips (about 1 1/2 pounds un-peeled and un-chopped)
  • 1 3/4 cups chopped turnip (about 3/4 pounds un-peeled and un-chopped)
  • 1 large chopped red onion (about 1 large red onion un-peeled and un-chopped)
  • 2 Tbsp EVOO
  • 1 tsp brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp parsley
  • 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
Directions
  • Preheat over to 450 degrees.
  • Mix together first 7 ingredients.
  • Put veggies in a 9 x 13 baking dish or a roasting pan that will fit all of them.
  • Bake for 30 minutes.
  • Stir well.
  • Bake for another 30 minutes.
  • Add remaining ingredients.
  • Stir well and enjoy the aroma of the balsamic vinegar.
The original recipe for this can be found on page 583 of the Cooking Light Complete Cookbook. It uses different quantities of a couple of ingredients, mainly two red onions. We used only one red onion, and I thought there might be a touch too much onion so I wouldn't use two. The cookbook states the recipe makes 6 servings, but after eating it with dinner, there looks to be only 4 real-life servings.

Please enjoy!

-Chef Jason

3 comments:

Rose said...

I would make this for winter. These are winter vegetables - the kind that keep for ages in a cool dry place. Our ancestors would have definitely done this in January. :D (Luv you, Jess)

Aunt Laura said...

Yumm. I would add a rutabaga to that, too. Did I already say "Yumm?"

Jess and Jason said...

Haha, Rose, I agree they are winter veggies, but the dish tasted like summer! Kind of like how I think smoothies taste like summer, but Jason just thinks they taste like smoothies :) I'm just weird that way, I guess!

Laura - I don't think I've ever had rutabaga, but I like the name of it!