If you haven't noticed, we have been cooking out of our slow cooker quite a lot. That was because both of our real jobs were crazy busy during August and it is just easier to mix everything in the slow cooker in the morning and have dinner ready for you later in the day. This recipe is super veggiefied and takes a lot longer than the 20 minutes of prep time than the Fix-It and Forget-It cookbook, where we found it, states it will for all the chopping, slicing, mincing, and frying.
- 2 onions, slices
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp EVOO
- 8 cups vegetable broth (you can use chicken broth instead if you want)
- 1 head cabbage, chopped
- 2 large red potatoes, chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 2 tsp basil
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 30 oz navy beans (canned or prepared for cooking, don't use dry ones)
- Heat a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat.
- Add EVOO and let warm for 4-5 seconds.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until tender and starting to brown.
- Transfer onions and garlic to 6 quart slow cooker (our 6 quart was almost overflowing with this so if you have a bigger one, use it).
- Add all remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.