Thursday, December 8, 2011

Winning at Walgreen's


As you can read in my brief Walgreen's tutorial here, Walgreen's has some pretty strict rules for transactions. This week, I really wanted to get Dove men's deodorant, as I had a $1 off 1 coupon, plus I would get back $3 in RR (and the sale price was $3.99). But as I also wanted to use some of my RR from previous weeks, I would need to purchase additional items as well.

My local Walgreen's is pretty impressive, but I was hoping to get bobby pins (I'm running low, as I tend to lose them as I use them) and they didn't have the $1 packages I can get at Wal-Mart. Jason and I had each picked up a Walgreen's coupon booklet for December (these are free), so we chose to get the candy deal. The candy deal was advertised as 3 candy bars for $1.50, then we had a 75-cents off coupon. Well, much to my surprise, the candy bars were on sale 3 for $1, then I used my coupon, so I got all 3 for just a quarter!

I used two coupons and one $2 RR coupon. My total out-of-pocket expense was $1.98, and I received $3 more in RR. My price per item is now at $1.28 (this is a per item price based on everything I've ever spent and everything I've ever purchased).

I had written down a goal of what I wanted my price per item to fall to each week, and I actually beat my goal this week, so I was pretty stoked about that. I do have a $6 RR coupon that will expire on this Sunday, so I'm hoping there will be a lot of good deals with RR back I can use that coupon on. I've previewed some of the deals at couponmom.com, and so long as my region is also running the contact solution deal, I should be able to use up the RR with no problems.

P.S. Jason and I are giving away a $5 amazon.com gift card to celebrate the holiday season. We'd sure love it if you entered! Leave a comment on any blog post to let us know you'd like to be entered and be sure to leave your email address, too, so we can send you the card if you win. The giveaway ends 11:59 PM EST on Saturday, December 10, 2011. You can read the full details of the giveaway here.

2 comments:

Carlye Jean Rankin said...

Have you looked at Southernsavers.com or wildforwags.com? They are great sites for walgreens deals. They even have scenarios for you to use.

Jess and Jason said...

I haven't - I'll have to check them out :) I am limited in my coupons, as I typically only have access to and use printables. Thanks for the heads up, though!